What does your pond look like ... Today?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I see the sweet three baby koi in bottom pond so they are still there... Some goldfish also poking out from hiding.

THE CRIME SCENE:
Here is what I know... Last couple days I found a couple minnows that looked half chewed and dead. Then the dog food container next to pond was knocked over and plastic lid was taken off, dog food was gone and container was laying by pond. Then this morning a fairly big log was knocked off edge of bottom pond, lilly pads were messed up, fish were scared and hiding, and another dead half chewed minnow was floating.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
so sorry collen but figured it would not be easy for anything to get at your ponds with fence and tree cover and all the distractions .I guess this shows us all nothing may keep a predator away

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I see the sweet three baby koi in bottom pond so they are still there... Some goldfish also poking out from hiding.

THE CRIME SCENE:
Here is what I know... Last couple days I found a couple minnows that looked half chewed and dead. Then the dog food container next to pond was knocked over and plastic lid was taken off, dog food was gone and container was laying by pond. Then this morning a fairly big log was knocked off edge of bottom pond, lilly pads were messed up, fish were scared and hiding, and another dead half chewed minnow was floating.
Sorry to hear about your losses, Colleen. Based on your evidence and what I’ve observed here with our various predators, I’d guess your culprit to be a raccoon. They love pet food and usually leave a bit of mess around the scene as evidence. In our various cases of fish loss, herons, ospreys and owls leave nothing behind as evidence but a few fish scales on the pond’s bottom and perhaps a bit of bird poop. That’s all. Their attack is generally stealthy and percise. Raccoons are clever, determined and resourceful but a bit messy, usually leaving behind signs of their passing.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes I think it may be a raccoon. Could also be a heron. I never saw any raccon poo, and some of my strings need ro be put back over pond in case it was the heron. What ever it was, i think it will be back unless I scare it off. I could also put that cattle panel over top to act like a cage..
Its the bottom pond, which is shallow and this has happened before in past.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry you had the attack @callingcolleen1 and I too suspect a raccoon! I had to protect a pot of water plants once from the buggers. I took a thin board and put nails or staple gun staples that were sharp poking through all around the pot and they left it alone after that. Better keep the dog food locked up somewhere else. There are prolly other ways to keep them away too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Around our pond today

the day lily flowers are huge, my hubby loaned his hand for a comparison
IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2660.JPG

The lotus are doing their thing in the lotus tub...........lots of buds coming up again hubby loaned his hand to show the size of the leaf
IMG_2665.JPG
IMG_2664.JPG
IMG_2666.JPG

Bees cleaning the dishes
They can strip every drop of honey quickly, I put in paper towels to soak up the large puddles of honey ow the bees get stuck. They then just suck the honey out of the paper towel.
IMG_2649.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Around our pond today

the day lily flowers are huge, my hubby loaned his hand for a comparison
View attachment 112801 View attachment 112802

The lotus are doing their thing in the lotus tub...........lots of buds coming up again hubby loaned his hand to show the size of the leaf
View attachment 112804 View attachment 112803 View attachment 112805

Bees cleaning the dishes
They can strip every drop of honey quickly, I put in paper towels to soak up the large puddles of honey ow the bees get stuck. They then just suck the honey out of the paper towel.View attachment 112807
AND you keep bees!?! I don’t know what’s in the coffee over there but needin me some.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
AND you keep bees!?! I don’t know what’s in the coffee over there but needin me some.
We do, currently 20 hives. I told hubby 10 was enough then he decided to emerge some queens (take the queen cell and get her to emerge) so we grew in hive numbers. Last year we grew to 16 and this year we have 4 small hives growing queens and brood. I told him ENOUGH!

Just love the honey, it is really light in color and sweet! We have people that are hooked on our honey.

I don't like tv enough to sit and watch it all day.

Luckily my pond is very self maintaining, I can turn it on in the spring and ignore it all summer if I need to. The yard needs mowing and a bit of weed pulling, mainly to keep paths open and the poison ivy removed. Ow it just grows

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep no food near my pond and never have to me that will attract predators .I can be sealed tight but they will manage to get into it

Ask a Question