what filters do you suggest we use

Reaction score
Okay the wife and I are going to redo the filtration system on a 15,000+- gal pond, and we would like your help in getting it correct this time. the pond is roughly 20x30 and 3.5 to 4 ft deep. It has two streams. the first has a large water fall box and runs approx 18 ft before dumping into the pond. The second stream currently has a small water fall box and it runs 25 ft before dumping into the pond. I know without pictures it will be difficult, but I am out of town this week and thought I would at least start the conversation.
So in a nutshell:
1. 15,000 gal oval shaped pond - located in the middle of the yard.
2. one skimmer with 50 watt UV light connected to -
3. water fall box with two layers of filter and 3 bags of media - (stream one).
4. stream two small water fall box with one small filter pad and one small bag of media.
5. 12 koi from 10-24 inches

current issues:
1. water has never been real clear
2. lots and lots and lots of sludge.

I feel like I need to have a pump in the bottom of the pond to pickup some of the sludge and to also move the water around more. if so, do I add a pressurized filter with UV to stream two?

Thanks
~Jerry

Reaction score
So did I just ask too big of a question?
The wrong question?
or just not enough detail?

I was hoping someone with a little experience could direct us down the correct path.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 filters for my koi and use lava rock and filter pads but learned to put plants in the filters to help clean but my water is brought up from the bottom of the filters and then out a tank adapter and learned from colleen that grasses really clean the pond better and peroxide helps clean the rocks off and kill algae .I just turn off pump and spray it and it turns white and then use quilt batting in the water fall to pick up fine algae before it turns the pond green .I just hose it off when dirty and soak in peroxide and put it back in the basket to clean some more .But you have a bigger pond than i have so may be harder

Reaction score
sissy, now that you mention it, when we had plants in the waterfall box the water did look better.

okay here is my big question... Should I pump water for the bottom of my pond?

The skimmer only pulls water from the surface, and it just seems logical that I need water to be moved from under below also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not from the bottom if something happens you could drain your pond .I actually use an extra hose on my pump just putting water on the top but if i want to clean the bottom I point the hose at the bottom and push the dirt near the pump and have a basket with quilt batting soaked in peroxide in a basket in the water fall and hose in it with the water coming out and amazing how much gunk it picks up .But I use plants in my filters and did not worry about the gunk because the plants love it ,

Attachments

• pond  and tank adapter 041.JPG
    pond and tank adapter 041.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 234
  • pond  and tank adapter 042.JPG
    pond and tank adapter 042.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 252
  • lily storm 7.28 048.JPG
    lily storm 7.28 048.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 445
  • waterfall 042.JPG
    waterfall 042.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 262
Reaction score
Can you post pictures of the pond? First thought is you dont have good circulation, thus the sludge (thinking dead spots)... If we could SEE the set up, it would be a lot easier to offer real advice and not just shooting in the dark. Another question is what is the gph on each pump?

Reaction score
What size pumps do you have now and where are they?

I have no experience with a pond that size, but I have read many good things about a retrofit bottom drain, aqua art I think is the brand. You likely need more pump power, and one option is to output the pump flow onto the bottom of the pond to get stuff up to the surface. Maybe divert one or both of your streams through a bog filter or a sand and gravel filter to trap particles. The output from this filter would go back to your stream and into the pond.

What kind of fish and how many? Bigger numbers and size make it hard for filtration to keep up.

Reaction score
Hookset said:
...help in getting it correct this time.
There's the rub. Everyone has their own definition of "correct". To me any filter system should start with the owner's goals. Everyone has the exact same goal, "clean pond". Next rub, define "clean pond". Can see the bottom? Can read a newspaper that's on the bottom? Gin clear? Very different filters and procedures are needed to achieve different goals.

Next most important question is budget. Lots of options for say $20k. Or is DIY an option?

A simple solution is a pond vacuum. You could have that sludge out in a few days. Would do way better than just stirring up the sludge with a pump. That doesn't really do much.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. We did a major cleaning on the pond last weekend and added a DIY filter using a 120 gal water trough. also added an in-line 55watt UV light prior to the waterfall. the pond is doing great!!! even after all the rain this week its still crystal clear.
I have only filled the pond halfway and will add more water this weekend.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you drained the pond completely, scrub cleaned and are refilling, be slow about adding fish. Your pond will go through the new pond syndromes.
If you already have fish, keep an eye on the water parameters. ammonia etc

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the only thing with scrubbing a pond is you loose all the good stuff on the liner and have to start all over again .I guess not bad if you have no fish .I just pick up all the fine stuff with a basket of quilt batting but being your pond is that big it may be an up hill battle .Since you cleaned everything you will be starting fresh you may go through a big green stage .Water warms up and then you get a bloom of it .Reason for my quilt batting is it picks up all the fine stuff and algae is part of the fine stuff .I also soak and clean my quilt batting with peroxide and water .

Reaction score
Still looking great.. The pond was not scrubbed, I just drained the water and vacumed all the sludge out. For the most we are starting over, but the fish love it and so do we... I will post a few picks tomorrow. we are in the processs of redoing the sides so just ignore the mess..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know when dog ruined my liner and put the fish in holding tank I pumped all the water into tanks garbage cans and whatever just to save as much as I could .Here you can get those big caged in storage tanks cheap and I just cut the top off one and then filled all my stock tanks and then 4 days later I just pumped it all back in .I got my big tank on craigs list and I think it was like 50 dollars .They are food grade and had soap in them at one time .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oops looked it up and he still has them on craigslist in blanche NC and must have been around 35 dollars and rain barrels sell here for as little as 18 and as high as 22 dollars.He calls them totes but never saw a tote that big 275 gallons to 330 gallons

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh Dry Fork VA some one is selling some pretty koi for 5 dollars a piece

Ask a Question