What happened to my waterfall?!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. You should try to isolate the problem. You can try to disconnect the pump from the filter and see how the flow rate is from the pump. If it is weak than you know your problem is either the pump itself or the intake. If it seems pretty strong then it's something wrong with your filter or pipes leading away from it. As mentioned above there is so much to know about ponds. Fortunately you found a great wealth of information at GPF. i would read as much as possible. Also it's important to understand the nitrogen cycle as mentioned by another poster. A new pond is always tricky because beneficial bacteria hasn't taken hold yet. I would recommend to check the water readings of your pond for a while until you know everything is good. Good luck with it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok, 1st- THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
I took some time and got in my pond to do some investigating- bare with me, as I try to explain lol... Also, the skimmer basket thats on the pump really needed to be cleaned- doing so made a big difference and the waterfall flow has improved greatly- still not back to what it was, but I'd say about 75% back to full flow...
>>My new question/discovery: the submerged aeration device runs from a Laguna motor/pump, the aerator itself is large, I'd say about a foot wide, circular with a flexible cloth top and about 6/7" tall (I hosed it down but couldnt find a make and Google search hasn't helped to identify it)... I see the clear tube that brings air from the pump to the submerged aerator but it also has a large (2-3in) black tube connected to it... where does that tube run to? The lines are buried already so I cant tell- I'm thinking it's running to the skimmer basket/pump... the other 2-3" black tube in the system runs from the uv light (I believe directly to the waterfall) ...sooo, does this mean that the aerator is also responsible for returning the water to the system? Theres a large hole on the bottom of the aerator the part that sits on the pond floor- theres no mesh or anything covering it... is this right? My thought is that if in fact this hole on the bottom of the aerator is also the only thing bringing water to the skimmer basket on the pump, then there should a) be some sort of grate or screen on it to prevent clogs, and b) shouldnt it be sitting on a brick or something so that the liner doesnt get sucked up into that hole like a vacuum (if that hole is actually even an intake!) ...I wish I would've brought the aerator back up after I cleaned the skimmer basket to see if that hole had suction or not (prior to cleaning the skimmer basket it did not feel like there was)... I will if itll help us!
I've Google searched for so long and nothing shows 2 tubes running from an aerator... but i think the pond water must run from the aerator right to the skimmer on the pump, then to the pool filter, then to the uv light and then circulates back to the pond by way of the waterfall... we do not have a skimmer box in the pond... does this make sense?? There are no other tubes or devices... so I guess the major question is: does the aerator serve 2 purposes?? Brings air into the water and also suctions water out to the pump?? Or am I crazy? Lol

Thank you to any and all who read this and are trying to follow- I know that my descriptions and knowledge at this point are very elementary- so I really appreciate anyone who has kept with me thus far! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
haha! I think she's telling us it's underwater @Mmathis - she's gonna need a waterproof camera!

So this aerator does create bubbles, correct? But it has another tube that goes somewhere... very curious! I've never heard of an aerator with an intake on it, but anything is possible I guess. Let's see if anyone else has any good ideas.

In the meantime, get your snorkel gear and get us a photo! haha!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wonder if that is a type of bottom drain - like a retrofit. Not cut through the liner, but designed to sit on top of the liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Something like this maybe - they only show the one line on this one, but the information says it can be used as a bottom drain, an aerator, or both.

Drain-Air-Diffuser.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok, I'm going back in tomorrow!! The koi get a real kick out of it lol

I'm going to Google search 'bottom drain aerator'- that sounds like a reasonable way to explain this contraption! HA! Good Lord! Thanks again for keeping with me on this!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It would make sense if it’s a bottom drain that it’s sucking water and pumping it - somewhere!

Ask a Question