What is a good source to acquire aquatic plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am located in zone 10b in Fort Lauderdale Florida.

I am looking to get some aquatic plants for my pond, 1600 gallons and all concrete.

I may have half a dozen gold fish in it eventually, but I want to start with some plants first.

Since I am in south Florida, I assumed there are many nurseries specialized in aquatic plants. To my surprise, there aren't many. The few I found are "wholesale only". There is one regular nursery locally that has one rectangular tank with some lillies in it, that's it.

I need some guidance, what is the best way to get new aquatic plants? Mail order from online nurseries? Or are there better ways?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I don't even live in the US and yet here there is so much available. I always order online though. No local aquatic plant nurseries. Where I order from the nurseries aren't specialized but they have an offering of aquatic plants, so try to check the regular nurseries online.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. I will look for some online nurseries.

I am not even sure what plants to get yet. I know I will want some Lillie's, and some irises for the marginal areas. Other than that, could use some suggestions.

Prior to my total cleanout and starting over, there were some taro plants but the iguanas came and ate all the leaves, took weeks to regrow and within days they came and cleaned them up again. They don't eat the irises so must not like them. They also ate my orchids' new buds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Can you find a way to exclude the iguanas before spending money on more plants? I have gotten nice plants online from Play It Koi and Almost Eden. Many plants in the big box stores can also be used.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you find a way to exclude the iguanas before spending money on more plants? I have gotten nice plants online from Play It Koi and Almost Eden. Many plants in the big box stores can also be used.

It's impossible to avoid the iguanas from this invasion. They can climb, they can swim, they can be hard to see with their colors. The only thing that helps is when we have a near freezing temperature, like the winters of 2022, there were two cold spells one in December one in January the temperature dropped down to high 30s low 40s then the iguanas dropped from the trees and lay there until it warms again, during that time I can pick them up and "dispose" of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have good luck in the past with Bluestone Perrenials online, big selection. I was not buying at the time for aquatic plants but they do have a search option for plants that like to be wet. I live near a very nice Daylilly nursery called Tranquil Lake in Rehoboth, MA, they have an excellent selection of unusual Daylillies, all colors, sizes you want, they supply wholesale also, but they do ship, its a small operation. They also sell a nice selection of irises. Their fields are amazing with the Daylillies in full bloom in the summer. If you want something different then just a regular orange daylilly go there, you will not be disappointed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Howdy, fellow Floridian. I'm near Clearwater FL, which is probably further than you'd want to drive. I can split off some iris, Florida native yellow canna lilies and can probably get some umbrella papyrus out of the bog for you.
Just reimburse me for postage and be patient since I've got a lot going on in my personal life. Let me know.
(Those iguanas! What pests!)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Howdy, fellow Floridian. I'm near Clearwater FL, which is probably further than you'd want to drive. I can split off some iris, Florida native yellow canna lilies and can probably get some umbrella papyrus out of the bog for you.
Just reimburse me for postage and be patient since I've got a lot going on in my personal life. Let me know.
Funny how the Iguana's are pests to you guys but to others they buy them as pets. I only have my lovely Iggy and his buddies who sit in one spot in my computer room and behave so nicely :smuggrin:

IMG_0589.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States

Hello SarahT, thank you for your generous offer to share some of your plants. No hurry at all and when you get to it and of course will take care of postage! I will be in touch.

Small world I lived in Tampa for six years in the 1980s, worked at an engineering firm on Gandy Blvd, had annual passes to the Busch Gardens and went there on weekends when they would serve free beer. Cheers!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Funny how the Iguana's are pests to you guys but to others they buy them as pets. I only have my lovely Iggy and his buddies who sit in one spot in my computer room and behave so nicely :smuggrin:

View attachment 160430

Iguanas used to be pets to many in Florida, just like pythons. Then the pet owners didn't know what to do with them when they got to 3', 4', 5'...so they released them into the canals or parks. They soon exploded due to having no natural predators and caused a great deal of damage. Now it is illegal in our state to sell or buy iguanas, tegus or pythons as pets.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Iguanas used to be pets to many in Florida, just like pythons. Then the pet owners didn't know what to do with them when they got to 3', 4', 5'...so they released them into the canals or parks. They soon exploded due to having no natural predators and caused a great deal of damage. Now it is illegal in our state to sell or buy iguanas, tegus or pythons as pets.
I didn't know they weren't native there. Where do they come from originally?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Hello SarahT, thank you for your generous offer to share some of your plants. No hurry at all and when you get to it and of course will take care of postage! I will be in touch.

Small world I lived in Tampa for six years in the 1980s, worked at an engineering firm on Gandy Blvd, had annual passes to the Busch Gardens and went there on weekends when they would serve free beer. Cheers!
Cheers and small world, indeed. (Free beer?! Ah, Busch. Of course.)
Start a private conversation for your address and we can coordinate so a plant package doesn't arrive when you're on a month long world tour somewhere fabulous.

Ask a Question