addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So one ton = 2000 lbs, 32000 lbs / 2000 = 16 tons which is about 10 yds so around $57 dollars a yard or $36 per ton.

Reaction score
So the price is definitely a little higher but not a crazy amount at least.

Okay so I am just about ready to put the liner in but I am having some trouble figuring out a few things and I was hoping for some help.

1. How do you install a bulkhead fitting? I am going to drill through the wood and liner and have the piping come in from the side, however do I wait until I fill the pond up and the liner has settled or what do I do?

2. One of the biggest things I struggle with is pond circulation since my pond is practically two ponds that are connected, and I'm not even talking about my bog which is basically a third pond haha. Imagine having two ponds right next to eachother, one is 2.5 ft deep and the other is 4 ft deep and you dig a 1.5 ft deep "river" between the two to connect them. Would it be sufficient to put my pump in the small pond and have my waterfall/stream circulate the big pond? I will post a video in a bit to better illustrate what I mean.

So far my bog is 8 ft by 3 ft, bigger than I expected but I had to make a few not so desirable changes to my plan to make it work, for instance I gave myself basically no room for plumbing haha.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have many interconnecting ponds. The only issue i have seen in the little ponds, just fed water that water flows to the next pond etc. is some muck builds up on the bottom, (nice settling chamber) I just net it out.

Reaction score
Made a video to help illustrate what I mean haha. Yeah I definitely have a lot of muck build up in the small pond.

Sorry for the stuttering in some parts, I always get nervous making a video haha.

Reaction score
Wow, in South MS we have one supplier and stone is $320 a ton (.16 per pound). I need to find a better deal.

Reaction score
Is there a reason you couldn't have an over flow from the bog into the pond? I couldn't see the area real clear, but I think a drop falls would look awesome there :) If that would work, then you could put the pump a foot or so off of the bottom of the deeper side and feed the bog from there. Thinking that would solve your dead circulation area problems?

Reaction score
1. How do you install a bulkhead fitting? I am going to drill through the wood and liner and have the piping come in from the side, however do I wait until I fill the pond up and the liner has settled or what do I do?
I think it's best to fill up to where a hole will be and then cut.

2. One of the biggest things I struggle with is pond circulation since my pond is practically two ponds that are connected, and I'm not even talking about my bog which is basically a third pond haha. Imagine having two ponds right next to eachother, one is 2.5 ft deep and the other is 4 ft deep and you dig a 1.5 ft deep "river" between the two to connect them. Would it be sufficient to put my pump in the small pond and have my waterfall/stream circulate the big pond? I will post a video in a bit to better illustrate what I mean.
I'd say you have what would be called a river flow system (Google "koi pond river flow"). Whether a stream entering the pond sweeps some amount of bottom depends on lots of things. GPH of course but also the shape of the water where it enters, depth, the shape of the pond, etc. But also very important is what you consider to be acceptable is going to play a big role in your final opinion. In general I think water garden keepers seem pretty happy with whatever results they get which is good. In higher end Koi ponds keepers seem to expect a certain level going in and then test to that level and are unhappy if not met. From what I've read by Koi pond keepers over the years they seem generally unhappy with streams keeping pond bottoms clean. The water just dissipates too much.

It doesn't look like you have any bottom drain or filter system for removing muck so I don't see where it would be important to have a sweeping current. But maybe I missed that.

For streams coming into a pond I like to build a catch basin. That way 100% of your water flow can be directed exactly as you like, just like using a pipe.

Reaction score
Your stream will put more turbulence into the main body than you think, and as long as you have a strong enough pump at the other end you should have good circulation.

That's good! I did a test with my pump and with all the head pressure (8-10 ft) my pump is putting out about 2,000 gph all in all. I hope that will be strong enough for good circulation!

Is there a reason you couldn't have an over flow from the bog into the pond? I couldn't see the area real clear, but I think a drop falls would look awesome there :) If that would work, then you could put the pump a foot or so off of the bottom of the deeper side and feed the bog from there. Thinking that would solve your dead circulation area problems?

Technically I could make one, I just had a really hard time designing an effective one and a stream was just a lot easier haha. My main issue was keeping 2,000 gph of water from splashing everywhere, however maybe I could split the flow between a stream and a waterfall so it is only 1,000 gph each. Although I am afraid that might just be a trickle for both at that point haha. I do agree though, that would be the most aesthetically pleasing!

Reaction score
I think it's best to fill up to where a hole will be and then cut.

I'd say you have what would be called a river flow system (Google "koi pond river flow"). Whether a stream entering the pond sweeps some amount of bottom depends on lots of things. GPH of course but also the shape of the water where it enters, depth, the shape of the pond, etc. But also very important is what you consider to be acceptable is going to play a big role in your final opinion. In general I think water garden keepers seem pretty happy with whatever results they get which is good. In higher end Koi ponds keepers seem to expect a certain level going in and then test to that level and are unhappy if not met. From what I've read by Koi pond keepers over the years they seem generally unhappy with streams keeping pond bottoms clean. The water just dissipates too much.

It doesn't look like you have any bottom drain or filter system for removing muck so I don't see where it would be important to have a sweeping current. But maybe I missed that.

For streams coming into a pond I like to build a catch basin. That way 100% of your water flow can be directed exactly as you like, just like using a pipe.

My main concern was that the water would not be churned up enough and I would have dead zones. I like to have as much oxygen as possible and as healthy of water for my koi as possible. Plus I really want clear water, I can't stand this green water anymore it's driving me nuts haha

Reaction score
My main concern was that the water would not be churned up enough and I would have dead zones. I like to have as much oxygen as possible and as healthy of water for my koi as possible. Plus I really want clear water, I can't stand this green water anymore it's driving me nuts haha
Oh I see. That makes more sense at least O2 wise. Churning the water wouldn't help with clear the water,. Could actually make green water more green.

The catch basin would allow you to direct water in a couple of directions at the bottom to churn the water much more than just letting the stream/fall hit the surface.

Reaction score
Just doing a couple test runs, so far so good haha.

It's a good thing I decided to split the flow though, that thing sounds more like white water rapids than a babbling brook! haha

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol is does have some sound! Nice flow there. Watch the height of the edges, water has a great way of getting slightly obstructed and flowing out of water falls and streams.

Ask a Question