What is this goldfish?

Reaction score
The place where I got my water lilies also raises koi and goldfish. I couldn't resist this goldfish, but now I don't know what it is?

Attachments

• pond 1.jpg
    pond 1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 269
  • pond 3.jpg
    pond 3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 237

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like it is a black baby that is converting to orange. Most likely it will end up being all orange. Too bad they do not keep the black, I love the black and orange markings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The black ones survive better as fry because they can hide better and not be eaten by other fish. It probably has something to to with natural selection. So over time more and more goldfish are born all black. Then eventually they usually turn orange, but you never know. I had one go from black to orange to white!

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/6742-my-goldfish-pond/page-98

Reaction score
imo the change is from black (olive, bronze) to orange. Some seem to hatch pale orange. Then later, maybe at spawning age, they turn from orange to all red or all white. Maybe 10-20% become white. The orange and red colors are hard to tell apart. Only talking about Commons and Comets of course. I few take a long time to change from the dark.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
CometKeith said:
The black ones survive better as fry because they can hide better and not be eaten by other fish. It probably has something to to with natural selection. So over time more and more goldfish are born all black. Then eventually they usually turn orange, but you never know. I had one go from black to orange to white!

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/6742-my-goldfish-pond/page-98
I have one doing that (the black to orange to white thing) now. Wasn't expecting a WHITE goldfish!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some beautiful finned olive gray gf, showing no signs of changing colors. Some real dark shubunkin type, black with minimal red orange colors. A variety of colors, they all look pretty to me. Reds, oranges, whites, blacks, grays, yellows. I love what mix I have ended up with, since I started with so few fish, 4 feeders and around 15 fish being dumped by walmart when they changed out some tanks. The only fish I have bought in the last year were some petsmart shubbies, they are in a separate tank, but I know their eggs can make it to the big pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all my black ones go to orange and then to a whitish pink with an orange dot on the top of there head

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Beautiful fish as it is right now. as others have said though, expect it to change. Probably most of the black will eventually fade away. There is no name for a black and red comet that I know of. But for what it is called, it is still considered a comet.
BTW, one of my favorite goldfish started out as a 6" solid black, by the time it reached 10" it looked similar to yours, at 12" It became 805 orange, 20% black. It's now over eight years old, is 95% deep reddish orange, with just a few remaining black markings. But at 14" and bigger than most of the Butterfly Koi in the pond with a tail that is easily twice as large as any butterfly I own. It get's quite a few compliments from people thinking it's a butterfly koi when he really is the only comet in the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought ugly cheap fish and most were a dollar at the koi farm and 2 were in the 5 dollars and one i paid 7 dollars for .The babies i have given away over the years i have seen and some are almost as big as mine now and have long flowing tails .I sometimes envy people who got the fish I gave away because they are so pretty .First 4 fish I bought were aggie and bert (koi ) and the other 2 were just plain gold fish and one was black .Then i got 2 shubbis and 2 fantails and then the most expensive was the multi colored butterfly ,but I really think he looks more like a fancy tail to me (but I'm no expert ) .Aggie and bert were 5 dollars .

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers, it does have a little longer tail, it's a pretty fish. I have 6 other goldfish, all hand picked from the feeder tank at Petsmart. 4 are regular orange ones, one is totally dark and one is a pinkish white with a longer tail. They are all about 21/2" now, not counting the tail, the black and orange one is about 31/2".

Ask a Question