Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ostracod sp.?
I think I looked that one up [species, family, group, whatever -- weren't there 3 types, and this was one of them?] .....there were several and I didn't keep mental notes..... If I couldn't find an exact picture of my "critter," I skipped it and went on to the next one. But I will certainly go back and try again!

At one point I thought I was on to something, but it was stated that [paraphrased] "that particular organism was the ONLY one that did not have a heart." I don't recall what that was......but DARN, I thought I was close! Mine definitely had a heart!

This is fun!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since there are 13,000 named species (many, many more un-named) of Ostracods, there may not be a matching photo of the one that you photographed. Don't look for exact matches. Look for common features.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just curious, what is your search methodology?
I start out using a gross description, usually starting with "aquatic" or "freshwater." And depending on the results I get from that general search, I branch out. In this case, I knew it had to be an arthropod, so I concentrated on that, plus the fact that it was visible to the naked eye. PLEASE, if you have a more efficient way to search, I'm all ears!

BTW, it probably is an Ostracod -- something akin to the "seed shrimp." And, that WAS the group I was looking into when I said I was "on to something," but gave up on, when it said that most don't have a need for hearts......

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Initially I follow much the same method as you. I do utilize Wikipedia quite a bit, not that it is completely accurate, but the embedded links on most pages make for quicker searches. When looking to identify an organism, i try to drill down on the specie. Wikipedia is also good for this as the biological classification tree is usually listed on the right side of the page. Links are also embedded in these lists. From there I rely on Google, using the image search first. If I see something similar to the sample organism that I am trying to identify, I will click on 'Visit Page' to get more detailed info. It still takes time, but for me this has proven to be the quickest method for identification. There are web sites that are devoted entirely to a single phyllum, family or specie. If you can find these they will help. Hint: Always bookmark a page that is useful or you think may be useful in future searches. Saves a lot of time.
I use an entirely different method for topic searches.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, had to "break" for a little while. I went outside to relax & watch the fish, when I noticed that one of the larger Watonai had odd-looking eyes. Ooops! The "eyes" were the only thing that stood out on the last fish that I lost -- also a Watonai, just a few weeks ago. Otherwise, the fish looked OK. I brought it in to examine & scrape it and noticed that it was very passive with slight equilibrium issues as it very slightly wanted to turn on it's side (but not like they do with swim bladder problems).

The eyes were odd. They weren't "popped out" but there was either an overgrowth of the cornea (clear part of the eyeball), or there was a jelly substance over the eyeball. And the eyes were aimed at a downward angle -- like the fish was stuck looking down.

I scraped it (twice), but basically didn't find anything moving. Then, on one scrape there seemed to be some "Brownian" movement so I thought I would take some pics & video as there was a "flow" going on. I had the scope up to 400x. But when I added the camera, and zoomed in, there was other movement that I couldn't see unaided at 400x. So, now I'm confused again, since anything parasitic, you're supposed to be able to see from 40x - 400x. So, is this fish sick with something bacterial (internal) rather than parasitic (external)?

I'm adding a link to the thread on this, with pics and the video (if I don't lose this post while I search for it, LOL!).

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/sick-goldfish-what-am-i-missing.18036/

@Meyer Jordan @Dave 54

Ask a Question