What is your weather like ... today

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
CE, I posted lots videos on my winter thread, trying to explain how flowing water keeps the ice away. The top two ponds are always pumped to the same level of water, only the bottom pond gets lots of thick ice, this is because the water in the bottom pond drops as ice forms on the top two ponds. The running water is able to melt the top two ponds quick because the water is at the ice level all the time.

The bottom pond pumps the water to the top two ponds, keeping the water level at a constant same level, but because the water drops in the bottom pond below the ice level, the running water cannot touch it and melt it away quick. When I top up the bottom pond, then the running water can melt a the in the ice. Watch my video's on "Running Water Melts Ice quick".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Happy to hear you have your Yukon back CE.

Same ridiculous cold here. Expecting lows Sun night/Monday -17F. We are under a wind chill warning for the next 2 1/2 days.
At least we are not expecting the snow storms this time. We have been dodging the bullet there. Knock on wood :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
My aquarium bubbler and deicer has been keeping a hole open in the pond but hole is slowly getting smaller. I went out today just to make sure the heater was working!
1500 watt heater is plugged in all most constantly. No running water like Colleen to help keep open water. It is windy here too like CE so that factors in. Not good on the electric bill!

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
CE..my pond its completely iced over with the exception of one area. Inside the skimmer box. That is where my mega pump is at a 5,400 GPH so the ice has no chance at all to form in there. My bog pump is still running, but it too has a ice cap over the bog. I can see moving water under the ice so I'm not worried at all. I have no heater running in the pond, but I do have one on stand by. Some schools here have already closed for Monday and I'm not even sure if school here will be open. Gosh I hope so....They have been off since Dec. 20th. THEY NEED TO GO BACK or I'm selling them...j/k... Went to the store tonight because I don't want to go out at all tomorrow and most of the shelves are bare. Milk, bread and ice cream were slim pickins..Frozen pizzas were low too. We haven't been this cold in a long time too but it reminds me of my days of working construction outside during the winter. I'm glad I work inside now. Being a welder can have its perks sometimes :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
minus 22 Celsuis or minus 13 Fahrenheit right now. Hubby got called to work for today, extreme windchills values reported out on the prairies for today. Good thing Santa brought hubby new thermal heavy duty underwears and socks. I also got him a ton of Hot Shots that he can stick in his gloves, boots, pants, anywhere he is cold!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You all sent the bad weather to us...................freezing rain, sleet, snow, winds chills down to 17 below , highs of 10 degrees...................This is one cold winter. Those bugs that were flying around are not flying around anymore.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
MitchM said:
We have 3 feet of snow pretty much everywhere now. The darn deer are coming right up to the house to dig for food because the snow is not as deep close to the house. I hope they're only eating old weeds! ha,ha.
Addy, now that you're both fully retired, I'll bet you and your hubby will be a lot more busy than you were when you were working!
Congratulations!
Thanks Mitch
We have catch up stuff to do lol, a few, I could not do, repairs to the house (high up on a ladder fixing the sun room exterior) I hate ladders, we need to put up scaffolding and it is badly sloped where we need to work.. I kept my registry active until this year, kept thinking I might go back to work after I moved, but never did. Don't have the time to do anything as lame as work ..................

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Little missy, pees darn fast when it is cold, no sniffing around A few time she would head out the door and spin around to come right back in, toooooooooooooo cold mom! Now she does not need to worry about the cold.

Reaction score
My pond hasn't been iced over for the last month. Currently 8F and bottom of pond is 42F. The 1500 w stock tank heater is doing a good job at keeping the pond warm. I have it about a foot under the water, not liking my electric bill, on the warmer days I unplug it. Before I started using it this year, the bottom of the pond was getting down to 33F which was colder then I wanted to have my fish in. So I will suck it up and pay the electric bill.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not had a winter fish kill, using the aerator seems to work fine here. I am sure my pond is in the low 30's now in temp. Almost totally iced over.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Fat Poppy stuck on the couch to me, curlled up right next to my body, she heard the house make "groaning" noises and sniffed the air and refused to go outside! Bad Bear went outside for two whole minutes!!

Temperature now down to minus 28 Celsius, or minus 18 Fahrenheit. Wind chill factor this morning is Minus 40!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
burrrrrrrrrrrrrr we are at a COLD 70 home is 11 F

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Just checked ponds five minutes ago, with a flashlight in the dark, and the breather holes are VERY SMALL! I can hear the water flowing under the frozen ice caps, and can see a small hole in the middle pond, about a five inch round hole open not very far downstream from 1250 watt Heater.
That is pretty much the only open hole in my three connecting ponds right now!

I just turned up the heat in the house, the outside walls feel cold!! I also lit candles in the green house to ward off the frost. The little heater is on low heat to save money, and candles will help keep greenhouse from getting below zero.

Ask a Question