What is your weather like ... today

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It is good to have hubby home today Addy, you and the puppy and hubby can stay warm together under the warm blankets! :)

Just saw on the news that somewhere in Minnesota the temperature is minus 40 degrees!! Did not think it got that cold down there!!

Currently above freezing at 37 degrees, and sorry to hear you are freezing in the deep freezer!! :(

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Our predicted flurries have turned to 4". Wish they could get the forecasts right. Netting was still up on both ponds. pvc poles bent and netting in the water. Took me over an hour to get the netting off and heaters put in. Was going to get my drivers license renewed today. Maybe not!

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Yes Colleen. We get super cold. This was Dec 23. At a dead stop on our way home from a friends house image.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Minus 18 F this morning, now up to -4. Warm front coming in, supposed to hit 30 tomorrow. The house has been making cracking noises all night as the wood contracts. I've seen colder, but I still don't LIKE it!!
John

P.s. Smilies frozen AGAIN!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
- 10 wind chill predicted for tomorrow................

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
18 Fahrenheit right now, and it must have snowed close to 3 inches today while I was a work. The snow came down in the biggest flakes I have seen in a long while too! The snow was heavy as well, and in some areas there was water and ice under the snow as the tempertures were warmer yesterday and the ground was starting to warm up to.

Back to the Deep Freezer I will go, tomorrow night going down to Minus 21 Farhrenheit, so I will be plugging the pond heater back in tonight before I go to sleep.

The puppies killed each other "softly" while Mommy shoveled the snow again!!

Attachments

• IMAG7847.jpg
    IMAG7847.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMAG7850.jpg
    IMAG7850.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG7809.jpg
    IMAG7809.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMAG7810.jpg
    IMAG7810.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG7813.jpg
    IMAG7813.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG7816.jpg
    IMAG7816.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMAG7817.jpg
    IMAG7817.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMAG7842.jpg
    IMAG7842.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG7823.jpg
    IMAG7823.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG7836.jpg
    IMAG7836.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG7843.jpg
    IMAG7843.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG7831.jpg
    IMAG7831.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 112

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Going down to 23F tonight...............maybe there is hope for some more snow yet?

I sure hope CE finds that nice puppy Yukon very soon! Wish she would pop in and say Yay she found him safe and sound.

Reaction score
Winter weather advisory for tonight. SNOW RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR WILL CAUSE AREA ROADS TO BECOME INSTANTLY SLICK AND DANGEROUS. VISIBILITY: LESS THAN ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES. Low of 21F.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
YUKON IS HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a call late last night, he had been spotted SW of my house, and I went to get him, as soon as my phone got charged up (it was dead, she left voice mail, what a hectic mess it was for a little while) and got directions. Get this ... he left sometime on Sunday, while I was at my cousin's house all day. On Tuesday he was spotted by 2 different people in Altmont, which is NE of my house about 11 miles at least to where he was spotted. Then, 2 days later, on Thurs. afternoon, he was found in St. Peter, which is SW of me ... yep, you got it ... he was I guess trying to find his way home. But, do the math ... he traveled over 30 miles in 4 days, unless someone picked him up, which is doubtful. Poor guy, but he was in great shape, and the power of Facebook and all the sites that I posted on, including "Lost Dogs in Illinois" are what located him back to me! So, I'm sorry I didn't get on here last night, but it was midnight before I got all the other stuff answered from people on FB, and this morning I was trying to get gone to pull flyers before work, then on lunch, and after work, and picked up the dog crate I took to the site where he was first seen on Tues. This is what he looked like last night, after he ate some food (he sure was not starving, but the lady that had him gave him a pork chop LOL and some food) and water ... dead to the world, didn't move an inch for the next 4 hours. Poor guy was soooo pooped:
Yukon, home at last.JPGDenali and Smokey seem to want to leave him to rest.JPG

Now, for those of you that are science geniuses, I want to know your opinion of what this is:
Ice strings Jan 3 2014.jpg
I call it an "ice string". There were quite a few of them on the N/S road electric llines by my house this morning. They were like string, made up of ice from the zero temps this morning, and swinging in the wind. Very strange! Then I spotted this really long one, maybe 5-6' long! Some of them were attached to the electric wire on both ends, like one end swung up and stuck to the wire. Anybody have any idea how this was formed or what it is called? I tried to google "ice string" and come up with nothing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here's our area prediction for the weekend and next week:
Winter storm coming in Sat. afternoon, producing 3-5" of snow, then continuing on Sunday with another 5-8" of snow. We are in the 8-12" band right now. Hope that changes to the 5-8" band. Temps dropping Sunday to a low Monday morning of -15 ... Brrrrrrrrr ... Monday high of -5 and low of -14, Tuesday high of 10 and low of 5, so at least we will be above zero all day! There will not be any schools open Monday and Tuesday with those low temps. They can't be responsible for a child waiting for a school bus in below zero temps. Parents are so ignorant, putting their kids outside in less than adequate clothing in those kind of temps. And, with the snow preceeding the frigid temps, the roads will probably be terrible anyhow. Yikes, I think Miss Colleen surely does need to leave her winter door shut, and keep that arctic air from heading south to us "southerners"! They are using the word "blizzard" conditions for Sunday, so winds are going to play havoc with all that snow, which will cause problems for days with the lowest temps in over 20 years here. Still have ice on the roads from the measly 3" we got here night before last. Interstates are clear, they use salt, but all other roads are pretty much snow packed and very slick. thank goodness for my 4WD truck with brand new tires. So far, so good. It plowed right through the 3 drifts on the driveway to the barn, one of which was about 16" deep. Woohoo! My Charger ... it's remaining in the garage until all the white stuff is completely gone. LOL

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well thank goodness the bad puppy Yukon is home safe and sound and fast asleep after his big adventure!!! Good Job finding him CE!!!

Never saw string ice before here, very strange, but we don,t get alot of freezing rain here too often, and I suspect the freezing rain may have had something to do with it!

I feel asleep early tonight, had to work hard today in the freezer at work all day long, moving lots of bakery boxes around, and that work just puts me out like a light! Now I have to try to get back to bed again, going to do a load of laundry and watch Dracula, the series on TV before I go back to bed. I was supposed to be off tomorrow but now I have to work cause the new bakery supervisor is in some sort of trouble and got sent home early today. I think they are trying to get rid of him, but good luck finding another supervisor, cause no body is dumb enough to take the job that works in the bakery department! The work is hard and very stressful and we burn out supervisors very fast these days!!!

Ask a Question