addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy did that messy storm cause havoc for your pond?

Hey I just heard that a category 5 storm going to hit the PACIFIC side and suposed to dump tons of rain somewhere along western seaboard...
Lol we are on the Pacific side, so far it is staying east of us, maybe
We are in arizona working on my house here. So far Maryland house and pond in good shape.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh I see pat the new storm will hit Mexico and Texas .I don't know about a mild winter ,seems this early frost we had is scaring me and others here

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well its suposed to be mild out west here in Canada. That's what I heard. But we had a killer frost the other day and now everything is shriveled up and dead. No leaves left on trees either. At least with no leAves on trees then more sun in yard...only good for my solar lights now.

27 days till winter Solstice. Then the days will get brighter slowly.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
And I discovered that covering the second pond from bottom keeps the water a little warmer at the surface. Gold Fish in there are happy and not laying sideways like some on bottom pond are right now after big temperature drop.
20151025_085554.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why I put up the hoop house over half my pond .I want to cover it with plastic for the winter .Shade in the summer and hopefully a little warmth come winter .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I need to find some Hoop material so I will be off to hardware store tomorrow to find something suitable and bendable that will make a easy peasy cover for rest of ponds. Normally I don't cover ponds but with extra new upper pond I need to conserve energy so I won't have to pay as much to heat...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I pounded rebar in the ground and used water line that is for wells and stuff .It comes in a big roll here for 30 dollars but i already had it here.With the wood sides on the pond I used pipe holders that you just screw in to the wood

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used what I already had on hand but pvc connectors you can get to fit and glue them if you want to .I have it over my veggie garden but it is done with rebar in the ground

Attachments

• pond cover 001.JPG
    pond cover 001.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 117
  • pond cover 002.JPG
    pond cover 002.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 140
  • pond cover 004.JPG
    pond cover 004.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 85
  • pond cover 005.JPG
    pond cover 005.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 90
  • pond cover 003.JPG
    pond cover 003.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 79
  • pond cover 006.JPG
    pond cover 006.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 81

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We are supposed to get the rain tomorrow .Your welcome colleen ,my dad did something like it back when I was a kid to provide some fresh food in the winter for our farm .So I was just using ideas from him and that was over 50 years ago .

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just looked at your set up Sissy that is awesome! I bet that's super easy to put together and works really well. Love love love it. I'm definitely going to borrow your idea for a fall cover for the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure what water line costs now but pvc pipe works just as good .That is all 1 inch water line that the well driller left behind when he did my well .It was just sitting in the shed .I did use some of it when I put in the hydrants on my property .I will use pvc connectors that go around the plastic onto the pipe .I will have to take pics of that part .I forgot that

Ask a Question