What kind of car do you drive; how old and how many miles?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by brokensword, Nov 12, 2017.

1. brokensword

ZEROPILOT Faster than you are.

Wow.
    That's some driving.

ZEROPILOT, Nov 13, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. brokensword

sissy sissy

I think if you maintain a vehicle it will last .I always have the vehicles maintained and only ever had minor problems which is normal stuff like breaks and batteries and tires .I did have an oxygen sensor go bad in mine and a fuel line hose that split ,but i replaced it by myself .Air filters need changed .Down here I have had my goodyear tires dry rot. .Changed a bulb in the license plate and one tail light bulb .I won't use synthetic oil in them because they do not run good on it .Auto tech does my oil changes with regular oil not that high mileage oil ..14dollars and done .I take care of my lawnmowers the same as my vehicles .I pull the pulleys and grease them and grease every thing 2 times a year and gas filters .Gas is garbage these days and dirty .The additive can kill an engine quick ,hard and fast .

sissy, Nov 13, 2017
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. brokensword

Burd Pond Scum

Define STORE.
    It's in a garage , does that mean store?

Burd, Nov 13, 2017
  4. brokensword

Burd Pond Scum

I have a 2005 Avalanche, I take good care of it, they stopped making them, but it's one thing after another, rite now when you drive it imsmell gas, a line or the sending unit is leaking, this it after $1,700 on brakes and front end, I think it's time to go. I bought a Chrysler mini van off a lady I work for, 27,000 miles, it's a 2000, loaded, clean, no rust, never driven in winter. But I hate driving a minivan. Lol, I also have a 1995 Infiniti Q45, fun car to drive, 300 HP, clean no rust, not striven in winter either, I guess we need a SHOW YOUR GARAGE thread, LOL

Burd, Nov 13, 2017
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  5. brokensword

Burd Pond Scum

I go to Cars & Coffee at 14 & Woodward, there's a GTR that shows up there once in a while, sweet car.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Burd, Nov 13, 2017
  6. brokensword

CometKeith

Zero. I'm in construction so I'm always driving from job to job checking on progress of work or picking up smaller loads of material for our crews. Probably a third of my day is driving. Thank God for "talk radio"!!

CometKeith, Nov 14, 2017
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  7. brokensword

gliebig

04 MDX 189k
    95 Defender 90. 76k
    91NSX 77k
    17 Tacoma 1k

gliebig, Nov 14, 2017
  8. brokensword

Check your cannister and the lines going to it. They get filled with fuel and not just vapor after a bunch of miles.
    Also, a bad sealing fuel cap can make the cab smell like fuel.
    These are cheap fixes and not things that can cause a fire like the other fuel smell issues.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    ZEROPILOT, Nov 14, 2017
  9. brokensword

I've never heard anyone report that their vehicle ran poorly or differently on synthetic oil.
    But if it's changed at 3,000 miles and the vehicle isn't left idling a lot, synthetic may be a waste of money.
    I use it. But I get a great deal on it in bulk.

ZEROPILOT, Nov 14, 2017
  10. brokensword

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

I switched to full synthetic mainly because it doesn't break down as quickly and is less reactive to temperature. And if I'm tardy changing oil, I know there's an extra protection factor in using it.

brokensword, Nov 15, 2017
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  11. brokensword

j.w I Love my Goldies

I forgot for a minute that I was in the car thread and thought I was reading about what to feed goldfish :eek::LOL:

j.w, Nov 15, 2017
    Gemma, ZEROPILOT and sissy like this.
  12. brokensword

sissy sissy

The explorer kept burning the oil up for 3 years and it was synthetic oil both added by the dealer and by goodyear and had to keep taking it back to them and took it to auto tech here and and both of the bosses own explorers with high miles and they suggested going back to regular oil because that is all they use in their older explorers and it worked 2 regular oil changes under it's belt and it runs great and I don't need to add oil every time I go out and carry oil with me because it burned it up so fast .I then talked to people that own them and they commented the same thing use regular oil .Ford people are very loyal to their explorers and auto tech feels the ame way about theirs .They keep wanting to buy hubbies explorer every time I go there .V 8's in the are the most popular like ours is .We go from here to NJ on a tank of gas .When we get to Atlantic City where friends live that is when we get gas .That is an 8 hour trip because of traffic it can be even worse .Washington loop and leaving VA going into Washington and up near the tunnel are a nightmare .Most miles on it are from that .OK JW the air must be getting thin up there :);)

sissy, Nov 15, 2017
    j.w likes this.
  13. brokensword

THAT I have heard before.
    The zero weight synthetic oil is very slippery and thin and can be an issue with oil loss.
    Several Toyota engines had oil loss issues because of this too and there have been a few recalls to change pistons with different designed oil control rings.

ZEROPILOT, Nov 15, 2017
  14. brokensword

Burd Pond Scum

I go 6 months On Mobil 1.

Burd, Nov 16, 2017
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  15. brokensword

I also use Mobil 1
    I wait as long as 5k miles between changes. But my brain still says change it at 3k like with conventional oil.
    I just changed my wifes car last weekend at 3,100 miles since last service and was a little surprised to see the date that I wrote on the filter. 5/2015.
    We really don't drive much.:)
    At this rate, a case of genuine oil filters from Toyota (made in Taiwan) will last me the rest of my life.

ZEROPILOT, Nov 16, 2017
  16. brokensword

Burd Pond Scum

I've been cutting oil filter open, you would be surprised , like Fram is cheap garbage. Nissan, (FO my Infiniti) ac Delco and Mopar to name a few were quality inside. I'm cutting a Baldwin open in the spring.

Burd, Nov 16, 2017
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  17. brokensword

teeemkay

2005 Buick Lacrosse CSX, about 88,000 miles on it. I plan on driving it until the doors fall off. It's had a few mechanical issues since I bought it, but I've had no issues with the drive train or anything major. I bought it used in 2010. I had sat in the newer-model Lacrosse at the time and hated it as I could barely see out the back window (I really dislike the way they have been designing cars like that the past 7-8 years).

Hubs has a 2008 Lacrosse Super. It's the performance version of the Lacrosse--they only made a few hundred of them, from what I know. People don't realize how fast that car goes... It's a sleeper.

teeemkay, Nov 17, 2017
  18. brokensword

Burd Pond Scum

The new camaro is one big blind spot, unless you get a rag top and put it down.

Burd, Nov 17, 2017
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  19. brokensword

Boy are you correct about Fram being junk!
    I've seen at least a dozen where the bonded filter material became detached from the housing. They filtered nothing at best and at worst, added suspended particles of whatever into the engine.
    I've used Purolator. I've never seen anything that concerned me.
    I also use factory Toyota.
    As well as genuine Kawasaki for my newer motorcycle.
    At least they are good as far as my extended warranty is concerned.

ZEROPILOT, Nov 18, 2017
  20. brokensword

My beloved Scion XB has blind sides....Both of them.

ZEROPILOT, Nov 18, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question