What kind of fish

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Dace, darters, sticklebacks, mudminnows and anything sold at your local live-bait shop will survive in the pond. Problem is, you'll never see them! :(
John
Yuup having fish eat from your hand is tons of fun, you won't get that with to many species.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yuup having fish eat from your hand is tons of fun, you won't get that with to many species.

Exactly! People gravitate to koi and various types of goldfish for a reason - they are friendly and can adapt to close human contact. They also add colors to the pond that are generally not seen in other species. But it really depends what you're looking for. @Troutredds has a beautiful pond stocked with trout, for example.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think rosy reds are a good choice if you don't want big fish. I have some in my pond and they are pretty active little fish.

Do you see yours? I have about 15 in my little container pond and for the most part they hang out on the bottom underneath my floating plants. They dart to the surface when I feed them, though.

I have plans for a 3,000 gallon pond and am wondering if they are even worth moving.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you see yours? I have about 15 in my little container pond and for the most part they hang out on the bottom underneath my floating plants. They dart to the surface when I feed them, though.

I have plans for a 3,000 gallon pond and am wondering if they are even worth moving.

Yes, I do see mine (and I only have five of them right now) they are pink and pretty easy to see. When ever I am out by the pond they are the first ones to come up for food. My pond is fairly small at only 500 gallons so maybe that makes it easier to see them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great. If I throw dry food in (small pellets), they take about 30 seconds to "smell" the food and realize it's there. If I dump in a cup of water with moistened food (or anything) they swarm having been trained. Their mouths are not big enough to take a pellet so they bite away at one for several minutes to get enough, I think.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great. If I throw dry food in (small pellets), they take about 30 seconds to "smell" the food and realize it's there. If I dump in a cup of water with moistened food (or anything) they swarm having been trained. Their mouths are not big enough to take a pellet so they bite away at one for several minutes to get enough, I think.

Yes, They have a hard time eating the goldfish pellets so I try and mix some smaller pellets in for them or give them some flakes or granular food. I really enjoy mine and wouldn't mine if they had some babies just so long as it's not too many ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have in my 6000g pond about 12 goldfish and about 1000 Ruby Reds.
The population of the ruby reds seems to go down in the spring/early summer thanks to predator water beetles, dragonfly nymphs and backswimmer bugs. Later in the summer the population rises to about 1000 again and lasts through the winter.
The goldfish population seems to remain the about the same. I don't feed the fish at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I used to have pumpkinseed sunfish that would take worms from my fingers and even like to have their backs scratched! They have gorgeous colors on their sides but have to be in a large aquarium to see that. Since they are carnivores, they need meat, preferably live food.

Steve

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I used to have pumpkinseed sunfish that would take worms from my fingers and even like to have their backs scratched! They have gorgeous colors on their sides but have to be in a large aquarium to see that. Since they are carnivores, they need meat, preferably live food.

Steve
Mine take worms from me also, but with such vigor it's frightening. Perhaps more training on my side;)

Ask a Question