What kind of fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
Ok I see most of people get Gold fish or Kois what other fish can be put in the pond beside these fish and the would survive in the winter time to.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Ok I see most of people get Gold fish or Kois what other fish can be put in the pond beside these fish and the would survive in the winter time to.
Do you mean instead of goldfish/koi or to share the pond with them?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
shubbie or shubunkins as they are known .They are called the poor mans koi and come in nice colors also

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Can I broaden the question a bit? What other colorations of comet-like goldfish exist other than orange, shubunkin, and sarassa? No fancy goldfish please. But I think I've seen white goldfish.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Lol I meant beside gold fish and kois but I've heard of people getting cat fish.
I had an albino channel cat once, very big mouth, will eat anything it can get. He made it thru one winter but lost him in the spring due to unknown causes. I've been keeping sunfish in my pond for years, I like them a lot but there may regulations in your area about keeping certain species.. Here's my fish.. skip to :45 secs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
Yea that's what I'm trying to get advice on to see but I think pretty much anything. I only have a 400 gallon so I don't want nothing huge but the sun fish look pretty cool.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Dace, darters, sticklebacks, mudminnows and anything sold at your local live-bait shop will survive in the pond. Problem is, you'll never see them! :(
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had goldfish in my concrete fountain for years and it was just over 2 feet deep .It was big though .My son and his friend thought it was so great when they won them at the fair and I had no tank and had 2 cats so put them in there with a homemade filter and a small pump just for them .The fountain ran in the warmer months and it was a big 3 tiered one .When i sold my cousin took the 2 goldfish and put them in her pond and still has them to this day .Not sure how long goldfish live but they are huge now .My son is 41 now .They lived with no problems .The year we had the blizzard i was sure we lost them because snow was up above the second tier and that was 5 feet off the ground .It was in huge drifts around the fountain .But come the melt they were happily swimming around and pump was still working .Amazed me .They must have been females or males because I never got babies from them .I did one morning find a skunk in there bathing .Not a pleasant sight .

Reaction score
Country
United States
That hasn't been the case for me but it might be true.

It probably depends on how much they are fed and if they are kept with other fish (mine are in the pond with some goldfish and I had them in the stock tank prior to that)

Ask a Question