What rock to border pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Sisy;

Nice horses. I am a bit of an animal lover, 2 rescue arabs, one 1,200 pound pig (Henry), 3 alpacas, 2 llamas and a dog.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All my dogs have been rescues and that is enough for me .I plan on in the next couple of years moving to a condo that I bought and selling this house and moving the whole pond over to the other house for Mike and Tesia to take care of .This is getting to be to much for me to do by myself

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
20171121_104009_resized.jpg
Lovely pond @drjay9051 ! And gorgeous view!

Thanks. I appreciate that. Have not done a pond in years. I forgot how labor intensive it can be.
Today I worked from 6:30 AM to just before noon to get it finished. Now I will concentrate on flora and fauna.

I am in zone 8b/9 and am planning on adding some central American cichlids such as firemouth, Jack Dempsey etc. Although the aquarium books all state temps from mid 70s to low 80s I know they can do well outdoors in lower temps.

It will be interesting. Currently have about 100 goldfish to cycle the pond but no interest in koi unless the cichlids do not work out.

Still need to fine tune the rocks but I'm getting there.

Yes very cloudy. Lesson learned: rinse off rock before placement!!

Thanks again for your comments

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It amazed me that rocks can be that dirty .Have you gotten an aerator because they can be your best friend in a pond .Over aeration works for both the plants and the health of your pond water .I see no where in your posts do you mention fish ,are you going to have them and what kind .What would look great there would be a windmill aerator if you get enough wind

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I found these 2 plants locally. Do you know what they are? I am thinking some type of rush and possibly an iris??
20171122_115937_resized.jpg
20171122_115912_resized.jpg

The ragged water hyacinth were found locally as well.

Right now about 100 goldfish to cycle the pond.

I will be adding central American cichlids down the road. They can live in a pond in my zone although aquarium books all say 75-80 degrees.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/category/889/

I will look at windmill aerators, good thought.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have a new one I saw on youtube that has solar back up in case there is no wind .The first looks like a iris and the second looks like a cattail .Warning on both the roots can be aggressive to a liner .I have had to take a couple out with a chain tied to my truck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Sissy:

I had no idea that an inexpensive windmill is over $1000!

Well I cannot take it with me so I may get one. Any recommendations??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't know much about them except what I see on youtube .I see them around here at farm ponds .I love the way they look they remind me of P.A . and my parents old house .
I see some of these around here I guess because they are American made or just built good

Ask a Question