What size hose?

Reaction score
noobfisher said:
I went to buy 1 1/4 hose from lowes but could not find any barbed fittings to fit it where do u guys normally get them the one that came with my pump is for 1 in hose

HD and Lowes sell barbed fittings, the problem with the ones they have is if you do get the hose to slide on, you will not be able to remove without cutting. So I went to my local Swimming Pool Supply and picked up these. The one on the right is for 1-1/4" hose and is tapered. The one on the left will fit 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" hose. They are both 1-1/2" MPT. If you do go this route just buy your hose first and bring it with you to make sure they fit.

Attachments

• 100_0750.JPG
    100_0750.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 242

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I always heat the hose with my torch to get it soft first ..Things go together easy that way.

Reaction score
I went and got the ones from lowes and I took mechanics emry cloth and sanded them down they fit very nice now. It is amazing how much more flow I get with 1 1/4 as opposed to 1 in. How far down from the top do u put ur return line on ur 55 gallon barrel filter

Reaction score
DrCase said:
I run a 1 1/2" line off my laguna pump, And a 1 1/4" off my Titan
With a few 2" return lines back to the pond

What gph are each of your pumps?

And I've looked at Lowes for 1.25" hose and I can't find anything over 1". I haven't tried Ace yet, that's my next stop I think. I love Ace!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My laguna is 4200 gph max and the largest hose that will fit it is 1 1/2" you have to cut off all the smaller size parts of the pumps barb fitting to get the best flow
The smaller titan has a flow of 1450 gph

Reaction score
noobfisher said:
I went and got the ones from lowes and I took mechanics emry cloth and sanded them down they fit very nice now. It is amazing how much more flow I get with 1 1/4 as opposed to 1 in. How far down from the top do u put ur return line on ur 55 gallon barrel filter

Glad to hear you got what you needed. I am in the process of building a 32 gallon filter, I placed the top of my returns (two of them) 3" down. I am aslo venting my return lines. Since I will not be hooking this thing up till next Spring, I cannot tell you how it works.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i sand mine down for a looser fit then wrap a couple of layers of electrical tape around them so it cushions the hose from the barbs.

Ask a Question