What size hose?

Reaction score
What size hose do i need to run for my 55 gallon bio filter, i currently have 1" coming from the pump to the 30 gallon filter and it is PVC with 4 90* elbows and 2 45* degree elbows i think i could get more flow from flex tubing, It comes in 1.25 1 or 3/4 " at my local lowes. So my question is what size hose? The pump is a tetra 1000 GPH model and the pond is roughly 1200 gallons I have maybe 10 ft of PVC right now that i am using and the filter is roughly 3 ft above water line.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
generally the bigger the better... i wouldnt go smaller than 1" ... i have a 1000 gph tetrapond from l;owes myself and use 1" tetra hosing in my basement pond.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I started with 1 1/4" and found it couldn't always keep up with the flow. I went to 2" and all is well now.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Ace hardware often has 2" spa flex in stock. Don't know if you've got one there, but might check out other and smaller hardware stores.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Farmers use lrg hoses on there spray rigs...Do you have a farm store close

Reaction score
I have some farm stores around. my return will be 2" pvc I currently have 1" pvc for the supply. I will get some good pics up when I'm done with it.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I run a 1 1/2" line off my laguna pump, And a 1 1/4" off my Titan
With a few 2" return lines back to the pond

Reaction score
I went to buy 1 1/4 hose from lowes but could not find any barbed fittings to fit it where do u guys normally get them the one that came with my pump is for 1 in hose

Reaction score
I was trying the most readily available tubing and that was from lowes, i did not buy the hose i got aggrivated and threw it onto the shelf. DOESNT MATTER CAUSE NOTHING IS WHERE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE :chair: i am going to try the tractor supply tomorrow and home depot

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The only time I shop at Lowes is when I have exhausted every possible option. They don't staff their place with many experienced people. At HD, many are retired professionals and they know all the tricks of the trade. I have even had some tell me where to go to get a better price on materials. I average about $300 a month there when I am not working on a major project.

Reaction score
wow thats alot of money a month ha ha. One more question would 7 PSI from an airpump be good for a 1200 gallon pond i would like to put an air stone in the filter and one by my deep end of the pond. Its actually called a luft pump?

Ask a Question