addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The brown recluse are bad, they rot your skin. We had those in az also, always wore gloves when moving anything that had been sitting. They don't like light, so the best thing to do is make it light, wait 1/2 hour and they will have moved back to dark areas.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe I'll do it myself. I don't think i can do worse than them lol

Next year I'll clean my pond myself now that I know what's in there and how deep it is...

It's not the kind of project you can trust someone else ho is never gonna care as much as you do. And I have to learn also.

Now you are on the right path I'm thinking Rivermist................get in and get the job done and get your own hands dirty and become one w/ your pond,lol!
cosmicgif.gif

Reaction score
whoa american spiders seem quite nasty lol

j.w lol I know but for the first cleaning... I could not... not knowing how deep and what weir stuff might have been living in there... ewwwww just the idea freaks me out again lol

Now it's different... I feel like I own these ponds I know each rock etc... makes it easier... lol

Reaction score
yes I can see the bottom again... but the water is brown... no algae (just a little bit of green but normal proportion)... so I don't know... maybe this is just the natural way for a pond to be... green stage and then brown stage ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that could be the dead algae and that will get picked up by the fines filter .Means your bio filter is starting to work .Just keep chugging along and you will get there .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
With constant agitation from the fountains, an empty pond of smooth surfaces is constantly going to have suspended particles clouding, drifting...

Little obstacle for algae to grow and die as sediments, wind blown dust, splashback and run off from open dirt surfaces, tree foliage collecting and dropping bits...

Consider planting dense stands of submerse aquatic plants with very fine foliage in the more still areas of the pond, their foliage will slow currents, particles will settle and be trapped among the fine roots and form a mat which will mop up particles and debris.

Cabomba is perty much ideal for the task, to moderate turbulent and clouded waters

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found a great plant for my pond called strawberries and cream grass and great the fish do not destroy it .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Do you just have it in a pot or floating sissy? Sounds pretty, you should post a photo of it!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have it in pots .I had it in the basement from last year and subdivided it into so far 6 plants and put some in pots in the waterfall and some on the side of the pond edge .It is a grass so grows in and out of the water .The only thing is over winter it lost the pink color in the basement ,but that should come back once it is in the sun .I am going to put at least one in the 150 gallon stock tank .Had a heck of a time leveling the base for it but done .Took out the 300 gallon one ,it was to big for the area I had it in .I was thinking of floating a piece of it in the stock tank to see how it works .I have a float ring made up .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I googled your plant sisy and it does look really pretty! Might have to try to find some around here!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is a pretty color and I have some planted by a weeping willow tree that has the pink ,white and green leaves .I have had it for over 3 years now and I have divided it and protected the out door ones this year to see if they came back if I protected them and being that this past winter was mild they came back .The winter before they did not make it to much bad weather here .I got mine at lowes and it was sold as a pond plant and was in water

Reaction score
Sissy thx you might be right. because I see things change and evolve... even the filter is more "regular" in it's working. the beginning i had to clean it a lot... no it's been nearly 10 days and it's still doing OK... I got some water in a cup it looked indeed like dead algae ! :) Ha it makes me happy to read your line :)

I'm also gonna google your plant ! :) ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well I'm happy you are getting there but make sure you stay on top of your filter and get a pool net to get gunk off the bottom ,pool net means you do not have to stoop over .Hope you are feeling a little better also .I keep a couple of bags of activated charcoal in my filters and crushed oyster shells also ,stabilizes everything .Cheapest activated charcoal I get is at pet mountain in a bag called acurel

Ask a Question