morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Oh, okay. I thought you were raising tropicals for a minute there. I'd like to get some, but can't be bothered with taking them in and putting them out.

BTW, nice fish. Here's a freshwater one (not from my pond).

Attachments

• DSC00898.JPG
    DSC00898.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 332

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well, that's one way to guarantee a tourney win! Grow 'em at home, and then take 'em for a boat ride.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have been fascinated with fish and fishing my entire life. Its relaxing to me to sit and watch them swim around. Right now my koi are not very social, they just swim to the bottom when I approach my pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hi Anthony, good to hear all is well with the pond, and maybe over the worst of winter now, hopefully! I live In zone 2/3 and we had several very cold spells this winter, down to minus 40 below, normal for my winters.
I leave my lilly down at the bottom till about April, then I move lilly a little closer to the surface so it can get more sun and start regenerating again. I don't usually get too much ice in April, not deep ice that might might freeze lilly down under one foot of water. I also do keep pond heated during winter with a 1250 watt heater or 1500 watt for extreme cold. Usually by March the heater is no longer required as the ice does not get that thick and does not stay too long for me, with my connecting ponds. My ponds are all connected, and all flow together. Only the bottom pond get lots of ice, as the flowing water in the top two ponds melt and desolve the ice very quick. Some people much further South of me have ice for longer as their pond water flow is different than mine, and may not run the heater as long as me, and that can make a big difference on how much ice you have and for how long.
Hardy water lillies will be fine as long as the ice does not reach the pot....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So mom nature teased me this past weekend with that mid 40's weather. Its currently 9 F out with a real feel of -7 F. Next few days 18,14,28,13,18,23,19 grrrrrrrrrrr

Reaction score
started my pumps today as I could not wait another minute. Days are 65 to 70 and got most of the gold fish out of my pond as I have 15 Koi to go in asap weather permitting. Now I will look for homes for the GF as some are quite beautiful. Some i will keep to keep my skippy filters running in qt and some I just can't part with.......sound familiar?l

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lucky you and your warm temps! I have not had to part w/any of mine yet but if I ever do yes it will be a sad day :cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Would like to increase my little heard of 11 this summer. (if they all made it through the winter) I have 1 baby from last summer. So maybe I should leave well enough alone and soon enough I will have plenty. Would like to get a couple more shubbies though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I sure do enjoy the shubbies I bought. There is just something special I like about them. Not just the colors but I think they act different.......maybe more clown like or am I just seeing things I want to see :clown:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like the colors and they seem to spawn less then goldfish

Ask a Question