What to do with 2 large Comets during the Very Cold Upstate NY Weekend

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all Pond enthusiasts, I am in a quandary over what to do this Winter with 2 large Comets ( approximately 8" ea.). I have a 350 gal. pond. Last year I kept the pump running all year long. We had one freeze up after an abnormal cold snap. I had to break up the ice in sub-zero temps. Not fun. This year is worse for me because my husband is very ill, and I want to solve this problem as easily as possible since my energy reserves are running thin. The local aquarium store where I got the fish charges $90 a month to house the fish for the Winter. This is not affordable for me, and although I love my fish, that cost far exceeds the value of the fish. Please offer any suggestions, thanks in advance. Zelinda

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello. My pond is about twice the size of yours and I live in SE Massachusetts. While I'm sure you experience colder temperatures on a more frequent basis than we do here, occasionally we get very cold for a few days. I use a small heater during those times. They do draw a lot of electricity, but it shouldn't be too expensive to only run it when needed. Most of the time, my pump and waterfall are sufficient to keep a hole in any ice that may form. Good luck in finding a solution!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Stock tank de-icer from your local farm supply store. Or consider rehoming them so you have one less worry. It sounds like you have enough on you plate right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
What about using one of those low watt floating pond deicer rings, to just keep a hole open, that way you could turn off your pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could you set up something like a 100 gallon water trough in a garage or basement for them? Maybe use the same filtration that is in the outdoor pond and put a shop light over it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. My pond is about twice the size of yours and I live in SE Massachusetts. While I'm sure you experience colder temperatures on a more frequent basis than we do here, occasionally we get very cold for a few days. I use a small heater during those times. They do draw a lot of electricity, but it shouldn't be too expensive to only run it when needed. Most of the time, my pump and waterfall are sufficient to keep a hole in any ice that may form. Good luck in finding a solution!
Thank you for your response jgrandmont, what kind of heater do you use? Thanks, Z.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you for your response jgrandmont, what kind of heater do you use? Thanks, Z.
It's a 1500 watt de-icer meant to be used in metal tanks or troughs. I believe I bought it at Tractor Supply Co. Like I mentioned previously, I only use it when there's a danger of the pond completely freezing over. You wouldn't want (or need) to use it continuously as it could really impact your electricity bill.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Throw a pond breather in it will keep one area warm they will huddle close . See you in the spring

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all Pond enthusiasts, I am in a quandary over what to do this Winter with 2 large Comets ( approximately 8" ea.). I have a 350 gal. pond. Last year I kept the pump running all year long. We had one freeze up after an abnormal cold snap. I had to break up the ice in sub-zero temps. Not fun. This year is worse for me because my husband is very ill, and I want to solve this problem as easily as possible since my energy reserves are running thin. The local aquarium store where I got the fish charges $90 a month to house the fish for the Winter. This is not affordable for me, and although I love my fish, that cost far exceeds the value of the fish. Please offer any suggestions, thanks in advance. Zelinda
If you have room set up a rubbermaid stock tank up in the garage or other area that is protected. I have 100 baby koi living nicely in a 70gal stock tank with a large volume filtration system. With an established filter i just change out 10-15 gallons a day and watch the feeding. I am sure two comets would be very happy in this set up.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I NEVER USED ONE but i know this guy has got it or hell tell me where i can find it

Ask a Question