Suggestions for how to replace a liner when you can't move the large rocks that are on top of the liner's top edges.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 3 small ponds connected by a creek bed. A pump takes the water from the bottom pond to the top pond's waterfall. The top pond got leaks last summer. We drained and tried to patch any holes we found, but it still leaks.

Our problem is that the existing liner is embedded under the very large rocks that surround the pond. We are not physically able to move the rocks to put the new liner's edges under them. Some are concreted in.

I have attached two photos of the upper pond which has the leak and photos of the other 2 ponds.

From what I have read on-line we need to at least cut a big circle out of the bottom of the existing liner before adding the new liner.

Is there a way to put in a new liner and bond/seal it to the top edges of the existing liner without having to move any of those rocks?

IMG_8360.jpg
IMG_8361.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8362.jpg
    IMG_8362.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8363.jpg
    IMG_8363.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8364.jpg
    IMG_8364.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 9

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
th_turtle25.gif
@JenA
I'll leave this for someone else to answer as I have no idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would imagine one could try to make it work, but honestly I think you're just creating a new issue for yourself. I'd hire someone to come and replace the liner. You really just need brawn - some high school boys may be willing to provide the muscles and you lead the way.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I agree, better to get help and replace for a long term solution if at all possible. You can then make sure there is proper underlayment and overlay under any rocks to help prevent tears.

Do you know what type of liner it is? PVC is the cheapest but also the weakest and others have had them fail after a short period of time. Probably no point in trying to repair that. EPDM rubber is a better long term replacement.

Ask a Question