Love outdoors have three fish ponds outside. Small medium and large-13x5x19in

Reaction score
Country
United States
My goldfish are still spawning in the large pond. They have prev killed three koi. Please help

Attachments

• IMG_4808.jpeg
    IMG_4808.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4807.jpeg
    IMG_4807.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You received a lot of comments & replies a couple months ago when you posted about this same issue. Did you read any of those? Spawning does get rough, but without additional information or communication from you, it's pretty hard for members of the forum to offer any suggestions that might be helpful.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jfallaw8554 What size is the pond? The dimensions you give in the title really don’t tell us anything. And you have 3 ponds….? I’m confused. If you have koi in anything that is only 19” (deep?), there’s your problem

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You received a lot of comments & replies a couple months ago when you posted about this same issue. Did you read any of those? Spawning does get rough, but without additional information or communication from you, it's pretty hard for members of the forum to offer any suggestions that might be helpful.

Agree, and OP didn’t respond to any of the many comments. Is it too soon to say possible troll, here?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I promise. I lost three small KOI. I HAVE goldfish and KOI in this pond. The spawning was on. I took three dead KOI out of the pond. I don’t know what else to tell you. What you need to know? I didn’t take pics. I wish I had. At that time I didn’t know about this forum. Ty🙏

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This forum is a fantastic resource with a lot of knowledgeable people. The best way to solve an issue is to take in to account all aspects.
The size of your pond, fish number and type, any filtration, any new additions (plant or fish) , test results and any chemicals or treatments used can help tremendously. We can't see your ponds so we have no idea of the conditions.
Please try to answer as many questions as possible so we can help so you don't have any more fish die.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@Jfallaw8554 OK, here is some of what we need to know in order to possibly offer you some suggestions -

Are your three ponds attached? or all separate? Are the dimensions you gave in the title for the **large** pond? If so, by my calculations that's less than 700 gallons of water which is **way** too small for any koi, so (like Mmathis already mentioned) this definitely could be contributing to the problem. Posting pictures of your set up would be really helpful.

And again, spawning is natural behavior in fish, and yes! it does get very rough. Less space means more opportunity for fish to injure each other during the process. If you have any males that seem particularly aggressive, you could remove/rehome them. You could go for a same sex environment & not have to deal with this. (although, if your calculations are correct, stick to goldfish, don't reintroduce any koi & rehome any that might remain)

Ask a Question