What to do with baby fish?

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I'm back, all has been going great with the pond since I last posted. Big thanks for all your previous help!

So long story short, I have quite a few baby gold fish in my pond and as they grow bigger I dont have the pond space too look after them, I figured my best bet is to put some adverts up and hope someone will be interested.

But generally is it possibile to move the baby goldfish to a general petstore aquarium tank indoors so I can keep count of how many!

Also do the smaller goldfish have to be put back in a pond, or generally can they be raised in a aquarium enviroment without ever being returned back to a pond?

(Bit of a newbie question, but i was just wondering the different between the petstore goldfish and the pond goldfish :()

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
post them on craigslist...people will come and get them..they'll be gone in no time!..ive given hundreds away on craigslist

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Most goldfish started out in tanks so don't think it would harm them ,they may even enjoy it .I see alot of people on this sight who take there fish in for the winter .

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have about 200 comets that are free. So far, no luck after a month on craigslist here. Anyone in the area that wants them can have them. Feeders?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
DrDave do you have freecycle.org where you are? Cuz I've had good luck w/ them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You're welcome and good luck and hope you find homes for all those fish :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi ferrera, As far as I know goldfish are not bred differently for aquariums or ponds and can go back and forth. Some slower fish like fancies do better in aquariums and shubunkins and comets seem to like to have more space to swim and exhibit more of their natural behavior in ponds. A lot of people keep comets in aquariums so if someone knows what they are doing then your baby fish will do fine. My only concern would be that there is enough room for your fish to grow in the aquarium. As fry I'm sure it seems that there is a lot of space, but they can grow rather quickly. A lot of people say about 10-20 gallons of water is needed for each inch of fish. I hope this helps!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is no difference between a aquarium gold fish or a pond one. The lucky ones get a nice pond to live in.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
True sissy, but if i was a fish, I would rather have a nice big pond to explore

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true but in a tank nothing can eat you .Well unless you have a cat that likes fresh fish

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well true...... still rather have the freedom, may have to pay the price to enjoy it .......... sigh fish heaven

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have a sister-in-law with a ten gallon aquarium. She'll buy 3 or 4 small goldfish and keep them until they reach 6 inches or so, then they go into my pond and she goes shopping again! Four 6-inch fish in a 10 gallon tank always reminds me of a tin of sardines!!! John

Ask a Question