sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that was a good price we have 2 rock quarries here but the rocks I want are heavy so have to wait for my son to come down with the trailer and front end loader .good to have someone in construction at times but not so good when he's your son because mom is always last

browfish

beginner
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.
The pond volume is not the deciding factor on the strength of the walls though, it is purely down to the height of the water. The top pond should be about 4 feet deep with only 2-2.5 feet above ground level. I am really struggling to decide what these walls should be built from hollow blocks and rebar seems a bit overkill and there is a lot of conflicting advice out there.
If i do not do a concrete slab floor, what are the other options?

browfish

beginner
Reaction score
forgot to ask, does anyone have any details on how the bog should be constructed to work as a filter? I intend the 3rd and bottom area in teh drawing to be a bog. Should this also be tanked like a pond? I know if constructing bogs for gardens, they should have some degree of drainage to prevent them going stagnant? How would this be done?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you putting in a liner because you need nothing on the bottom but sand to protect it or a pond underliner and not sure about your insurance laws there for your home or the problems you may have from moisture getting into the house and causing mold and like the leak hazard mentioned and the problems maintaining it .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
depends on what weight of liner you use and remember the sealer will need time to cure and I have never used the sealer but always wondered about it's real safety .I read about several brands and seems funny to me they have all these safety warnings on them not to inhale fumes and not to get it on skin and in your eyes ,skin and eyes I understand but the inhaling part makes me wonder .You can get 45 mil thick but it is heavy but strong and cost more .I used 20 mil because it was light weight enough for me to do by myself .I would have loved to use heavier but no one to help me put it in .I used sand under it and then I used the underliner ,but that was because there are so many rocks here I did not want to take the chance of one working it's way up to the liner .Plus I think it helps insulate the pond better from cold and heat .Not sure but thought I would rather be safe than sorry

check out this site on pond info www.wernersponds.com it seems to have good info has info on bog filters

go to bing.com and type in waterfalls and ponds and there are lots of pics of ideas

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here are a few I found. None w/ stumps but still quite woodsy looking:

Attachments

• pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 207
  • pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 230
  • pond3.jpg
    pond3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 219

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
browfish said:
forgot to ask, does anyone have any details on how the bog should be constructed to work as a filter? I intend the 3rd and bottom area in teh drawing to be a bog. Should this also be tanked like a pond? I know if constructing bogs for gardens, they should have some degree of drainage to prevent them going stagnant? How would this be done?

I built and am using a large bog as my filter. Click the link in my signature, in my build thread I described how to build a bog like mine and how it works.

Mine does not drain except back into the pond. But there is water flow through the entire bog.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have heard good and bad about bottom drains .Have you had any bad things happen with yours .I saw one on a pond building site that got plugged up because it sucked in small fish and tadpoles and the tried blowing it out to get the clog and ended up breaking the pipe which punctured the liner .I have to go look it up it was on you tube I do remember that .They said it was because the pipe was to small or something like that not sure

Ask a Question