Help me design my pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been reading here for awhile. I am going to build a new pond.Have several koi I rescued in a 350 gallon preformed pond.I need a bigger pond. I have decided on a 12x14 4 foot deep liner pond. Can I do a bog filter and it be ok? Do I need a bottom drain and a skimmer? Please help me with a design.I am doing that much depth because I live in nc and it gets cold here in the winter.Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Any filter can be a bog ass long as it has plants in it .I put plants in both of my filters and only thing is with them in my filters it is easy to pull them and trim the roots and split the plant up .I have a preformed I bought and have been considering using it as a filter .I have a temporary filter still on the one side and have wanted to change it but had to put a new liner in again after a dog destroyed my liner again .Great that you are thinking ahead .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that is more than enough ,since you have koi think ahead and go big if you have the space .I am at 5000 gallons .My liner was around 350 dollars on sale from dr foster and smith with free shipping and you can also get one from webbs water gardens online .pumps were laguna 4 years warranty were around 400 dollars and laguna aerator was 149 dollars Stock tank filter I got a house sale 3 of them brand new for 25 dollars .Lava rock in my filters 3 bags 10 dollars .Most of my plants I got on trade for other things I had that were extras

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember koi stress out real easy and need lots of filtering because they produce a lot of waste .That is another good reason for great aeration

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hi welcome , how many koi u have and how long are they ? i assume u are having 5 to 10 large koi

bog need to be 10 to 30% of total pond

bottom drain and skimmer will be good . if u can then why not . they help in removing waste , skimmer if u have leaves and want surface clear from dust and oils

with bottom drain and skimmer u will need lesser bottom cleaning .IMO if u are comfortable
vacuuming or cleaning bottom every few months then u can only have any mechanical filter with bog without skimmer and bottom drain .

Reaction score
Do you plan on digging it by hand or hiring someone? The budget will take a big bite having something that big dug but its really the only way to go. Id get estimates first and work from there.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just use a swimming pool net for the bottom and I really don't get anything blowing in the pond so no need for a skimmer ,so that will be up to you and your situation .It was me and my shovel against the ground and I won ;)I wanted to rent something to dig with but people had rent the smaller one and had not returned it yet .For rocks it was easy borrow them from creeks and I got some when I was down at Cherokee NC

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
take pictures along the way

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have been reading here for awhile. I am going to build a new pond.Have several koi I rescued in a 350 gallon preformed pond.I need a bigger pond. I have decided on a 12x14 4 foot deep liner pond. Can I do a bog filter and it be ok? Do I need a bottom drain and a skimmer? Please help me with a design.I am doing that much depth because I live in nc and it gets cold here in the winter.Thanks

welcome, you sound just like me
I rescued 10 fish, none koi, last december from a lady moving to Florida
they have been overwintering in my garage and now need a forever home
My pond will be about half your size as I don't plan to raise koi. My budget is only about $1000, as I already have the filters, aerator, waterfall kit and decorative rocks from the previous owner

Ask a Question