HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
capewind said:
Do you remember the "filter floss" we used to use in the tanks back in the 70s and 80s? It was a cheap plastic container that had a tiny bit of white fluffy material, and a few tablespoons of carbon? You ran this filter by hooking it up to an air line? Same thing in a manner of speaking ...
Never mind the 70's and 80's. What about the 50's and 60's? We used fiberglass back then, and I'm STILL picking pieces of that crap out of my fingers!!! :grumble:
John
OK, not really....... but that stuff was BRUTAL!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
OK :question: why is todays filter floss different than the stuff back then .I see the stuff sold in the pet stores all the time for fish tanks and now it makes me wonder .Did notice that some say fiberglass floss but on the back it says contents poli. and others say poli. on the front of the package .I was also wondering about the reusable furnace filters I use since I don't see what they are made of .

Reaction score
HARO said:
Never mind the 70's and 80's. What about the 50's and 60's? We used fiberglass back then, and I'm STILL picking pieces of that crap out of my fingers!!! :grumble:
John
OK, not really....... but that stuff was BRUTAL!!
Cant say that I saw the 50s, and only saw a wee bit of the 60s, which I was too young to remember ...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
sissy said:
OK :question: why is todays filter floss different than the stuff back then .I see the stuff sold in the pet stores all the time for fish tanks and now it makes me wonder .Did notice that some say fiberglass floss but on the back it says contents poli. and others say poli. on the front of the package .I was also wondering about the reusable furnace filters I use since I don't see what they are made of .
In the 50's, filter wool was long-strand fiberglass. After changing the stuff in your filters, you'd spend the rest of the day picking invisible splinters out of your fingers. Then around the late 60's, someone invented Fortrel Fiberfill, or at least started packaging it for aquarium filters. It slso made sleeping bags a lot lighter; the one I had in '67 was stuffed with cotton waste, and weighed about 15 lb. Not only that, but if you had the misfortune of tipping your canoe, it would take a week to dry your sleeping bag out! Capewind, you poor kids missed out on all that fun!!!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
poor Haro now he really feels old :cheerful: I was a small child through the 50's and lived in Amish country so never heard of fish tanks only fish I saw were in the creeks :cheerful:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
sissy said:
geeze we had wool blankets can you guess how bad they smelled when they got wet
Yup! Just like my old sleeping bag when it went into the river. And I'm not THAT much older than you, I just started keeping aquariums at a very young age!!! (1957)
John

Reaction score
oh shit John, my kids would call you ancient ... I wasnt born til 68 ... first "turtle island" turtle pool was in 71, and didnt get my first fish tank until 73 LOL ...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Admit it, Sissy.... you're STILL wearing that bonnet to make you look younger! :bdaybiggrin:
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well I still have it after my parents took us from the Amish to NJ .They did file kidnapping charges with the state and remember there being a big too doo about it all back then .My parents were afraid they would try to kidnap us and take us back .Children belonged to the community then and they were not to be removed from the community .Glad my parents did what they did .They used the fact that they did not actually live in the community as the lived in a house on Ivan and Helen Fritzes property out side there grasp . :cheerful:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
capewind said:
oh shit John, my kids would call you ancient ... I wasnt born til 68 ... first "turtle island" turtle pool was in 71, and didnt get my first fish tank until 73 LOL ...
Actually got my first guppies around 1955. Neighbourhood kid showed me his HUGE aquarium (probably 5 g or less), and put some youngsters in a jam jar for me. Mother made me return them, said they would die. She was probably right, judging by my attempts to keep escargot in a shoebox! Moved to the New World in 57, and soon had my first 10 g setup!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My brother put his fish bowl on the radiator because he said they were cold .3 cooked fish later and he learned nothing .He then gave his new fish a bath in the bathtub with him .Mr Bubble bath stuff does not help fish :cheerful: :cheerful: poor dirty ,half clean dead fish .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I'm not that old but my first experience was of my Neanderthal neighbors who kept fish in a small creek. They were pretty good neighbors except they were always defacing our cave walls. One day they were there, then the next day they were gone. Don't know where they disappeared to but I miss them.

Ask a Question