Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is happiness. Fire in the fire place, cats passed out all over me, house quiet.

Attachments

• BB36EED7-ACCC-4C0D-9192-377426C5DB82.jpeg
    BB36EED7-ACCC-4C0D-9192-377426C5DB82.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 123
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you've seen the few threads here re 'aeration', you'll note that very little oxygenation happens with bubbles (large or small) make their way up through the water column. It's mostly immeasurable. The real action re oxygenation happens at the SURFACE, where turbulence from the exploding bubbles occurs. Hence, better oxygenation with larger surface areas and/or more turbulence. A pump aimed at the surface of your pond does more good than any air released underwater. When peeps put aerators in their ponds (winter), it's not so much to aerate as to keep a hole open so any gas buildup is dissipated. The main reason in the summer is to help circulate lower level water up to the surface, which mixes the oxygen poor water with the oxygen rich water.

Still something interesting to learn, though!
Well if power went out, it’s still a good way to create airflow to move water! I folllw DIY aquariums with that joey dude up in Canada. It’s all about aquariums, not ponds, and mostly exotic tropicals I have little to no interest in, but he’s got some good stuff. Like how to make your own aquarium, even out of plywood if you only want to see in on one side. That could be good for someone needing to make a quarantine tank, or winter tank, and he’s got all kinds of stuff about filters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do we have anyone who’s lived in India? Or lives there? There’s a young girl on the intro who’s looking for more info, asking about how to treat her sick fish, and what test kits she needs. Her fish were in too small a tank, now she’s seeing black lines on their fins. She got rid of her two koi, and added a second set up. She’s on a budget, please those who have better knowledge, go read it. Help a little girl save her fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm looking forward to my 3 day weekend coming up...it's hard to work when kids are home from school and hubby's been on vacation for the last 10 days

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like I will be doing another month of therapy for my shoulder as it's not fixed yet. I get a whole week off of it now so no running back and forth for awhile again. Just going to relax, do my walks, exercises and lose some of that holiday weight if it kills me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What other test kits are good? Neha can’t afford the API kit every one else has recommended, and is asking in her intro.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@JamieB - I know we've had a few people post from India, but I don't know that we have any active members from there who might respond. And I don't know test kits at all, so no help there! I've seen her posts - maybe recommend that she would be better to try an aquarium forum?

@j.w Holiday weight huh? Is that the same as the "winter insulation" I've added? Time to buckle down... before I can no longer buckle up! I miss my gardening and pond work!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Lisak1 that's a good name for it, Winter insulation :LOL:
I was good yesterday, ate no treats and only good for you things. Today I will hope for the best as my wagon gets a little wobbly as trying to behave goes on!
I will go for my walk even in the pouring rain....................if I keep telling myself this maybe I will really do it :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Cooking lasagna tonight. Saw a meme saying I wouldn’t go outside till the temps are equal or higher than my age. I say my hubbys age, it’s higher! I’m still at freezing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The holidays are officially over, kids are back to school, husband back to work...time to focus on my favorite time of the year... Spring yay!
I've ordered all kinds of Dahlias since the ones I bought last Spring did so well, I can't wait to plan my planters and flowerbeds:happy:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
got ashes from woodstove sprinkled over sidewalk and driveway. Bird feeders refilled & pond breathers and heaters checked.Warming tomorrow so hopefully the ponds will thaw and I can figure out what I need to do with the stock tanks on my deep pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The holidays are officially over, kids are back to school, husband back to work...time to focus on my favorite time of the year... Spring yay!
I've ordered all kinds of Dahlias since the ones I bought last Spring did so well, I can't wait to plan my planters and flowerbeds:happy:
Which kinds did well for you? I’ve not tried any, and I’ll be working on a list soon of what plants I want to grow. I’m looking for some that are tall, won’t be devoured by wildlife before they spread, and I’d like scent. The grape hyacinth my step mom planted smell amazing in the spring, but they die back so fast. Then it’s just the roses, and that’s not very strong.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Which kinds did well for you? I’ve not tried any, and I’ll be working on a list soon of what plants I want to grow. I’m looking for some that are tall, won’t be devoured by wildlife before they spread, and I’d like scent. The grape hyacinth my step mom planted smell amazing in the spring, but they die back so fast. Then it’s just the roses, and that’s not very strong.
I'm totally addicted to Canna Lily! I grow and give away hundreds of plants every Spring, but since the viruses started it's hard to know who to trust and so I only buy tissue culture plants and there aren't that many varieties out there
Last year I tried a few Dahlias and they did great full of blooms until I pull them to winterize...so now I'm addicted to those too:D
It's hard to find great plants that the wildlife don't like as well:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@JamieB a plant I like and also smells good is the Butterfly Bush

images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ll try some. And I’ve been wanting butterfly bush for ages, there’s some wild that is a very pretty purple.

Ask a Question