What's maiming my koi fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Op doesn't mention a geographic location but otters are not very common in most of the US while mink are.
Hence the suggestion of placing a camera on the pond to see what the OP is up against then they will know what defences to add to their pond to negate this night time visitor

Dave

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hence the suggestion of placing a camera on the pond to see what the OP is up against then they will know what defences to add to their pond to negate this night time visitor

Dave
Hence I request the op tell us where he is located,ya know,just so we know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hence I request the op tell us where he is located,ya know,just so we know.
Agreed but if its otters then Mink will be thin on the ground Smaug as weve found here in the UK that otters acctually seek out and kill mink because they are direct competitors for their fish.
The people who monitor the spread of our otters as the rivers are cleaned up are reporting .
Mink are pest here in the UK the last big outbreak of them did great damage, the Animal Liberation Front thought it a good idea to free them all from their cages .
They did untold damage to the local wildlife you'd have thought that those ALF idiots would/should have checked they are not native to this country but no :mad:

Dave

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yup,otters are on the comeback but in most of the US they are very uncommon. Mink are everywhere in pa, otters have been transplanted in the Susquehanna river but seldom stray car from it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everybody..... I'm in northern Calif..... No minks no otters in my particular area! To date we've lost 30 plus fish....it finally hit us that just because there's no body's or heads in the pond doesn't mean Theres not more missing! So it appears whats left behind in the water isn't on purpose, but rather just getting sloppy. Camera on the way! Thks for all your replys

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 220
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody..... I'm in northern Calif..... No minks no otters in my particular area! To date we've lost 30 plus fish....it finally hit us that just because there's no body's or heads in the pond doesn't mean Theres not more missing! So it appears whats left behind in the water isn't on purpose, but rather just getting sloppy. Camera on the way! Thks for all your replys
3to4feet! Thks
Ok so weve said no to otters and mink because they are not in your geographical area coons can probably get into your pond and catch your koi , but do you have any in your area?
I say this because your urban spread does take alot of land away from the local wildlife and all, we see it with badgers and foxes who have taken well to being Urbanites :LOL: .
We can more than probably write off an eagle, what with the fences and trees it wouldnt be able to lift off as it does.
Now being a Brit and not having Coon's in the UK I dont know much about them at all ?
Anyone know it they can they climb fences as your pond is certainly shallow enough to allow them to stand in the pond .?
This leaves us two candidates cats and coons You say whole bodies are disapearing as well, do they eat everything or just choice bits of the koi ?
Cats , if you own one I doubt very much it would eat your koi as we have three cats who even sleep by the side of the pond in summer , if its in their own turf we find they tend to leave them alone .
Cant wait to see what the camera catches @TheGoodDr, let us know as soon as you have caught the culprit in the act that way the American members of Garden Pond Forum can come up with a line of defence .

Dave

Last edited:

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes there are mink in n cali. They are common throughout the US.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
So which one are you in the photo Smaug i;e the fellow crouching down or the chap on the floor ? :ROFLMAO::D:LOL::):happy:;)
:wacky:(y)
Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question