Whats your dream Pond if you were to do it all over again

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by GBBUDD, Dec 24, 2017.

1. GBBUDD

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

Just remember; if you see Missy too, you'll have to supply the biscuits. If her Honey is in tow, surrender a six pack and you're good. For a while.

brokensword, Dec 25, 2017
    Tula and addy1 like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. GBBUDD

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

It would be a LONG drive at 4-5 miles a hour..................

addy1, Dec 25, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. GBBUDD

MoonShadows The Jam Man

But think of the fun you would have @addy1 once you got here. Did I mention free room and board, plus drinks during your stay? :whistle:

MoonShadows, Dec 25, 2017
    addy1 likes this.
  4. GBBUDD

cas

Dig it and then let mother nature fill it when she can!

cas, Dec 25, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  5. GBBUDD

cas

I'm pretty happy with my pond, but I would change the shelves - not as many, not as wide and different locations. I originally was going to make the pond smaller, but a friend kept pushing me to make it bigger. So glad that I did, because if it wasn't as big as it is, I would have had to say I wanted a larger pond!

cas, Dec 25, 2017
    JamieB, Tula and MoonShadows like this.
  6. GBBUDD

Lisak1

@MoonShadows - you know we all need to know what the other regret it! ;)

Honestly, other than a bigger pond, I wouldn't change a thing. And our pond is about as big as my small yard can handle. Sometimes I look at it and can't believe we actually built it - it seems like it's always been there. It functions beautifully, it enhances the yard, it's pretty much maintenance free (other than adding a little water now and then). Occasionally we wish we had made the underground rainwater storage about 10 times bigger - it holds 1000 gallons now... 10,000 would have been awesome. My dream was to be able to use it as a giant rain barrel - 1000 gallons isn't enough to make that a reality. The extra water works to keep the pond full most of the time - kind of an alternative to an autofill system.

Funny story - this whole adventure started when we were researching underground rainwater storage. We wanted a place to store water for emergencies and to use to water the gardens as our city water was getting so expensive. As we started looking into how to do that, we came across some ideas to build small water features on top of the underground storage - bubbling boulders or pondless waterfalls - to keep the water moving. That led to the idea "why not build a BIG water feature?" and the rest is history. Be careful where your internet searches take you!

Lisak1, Dec 30, 2017
    addy1, MoonShadows and Mucky_Waters like this.
  7. GBBUDD

MoonShadows The Jam Man

LOL. I don't mind mentioning it. The other regret is losing touch with my friends from school. Doesn't sound big, but for me it is.

MoonShadows, Dec 30, 2017
  8. GBBUDD

Lisak1

Well, that's fixable! I re-connected with lots of friends from grade school and high school on Facebook. Even people I wasn't necessarily friends with have been fun to get to "know" again! I know not everyone enjoys Facebook, but it does have it's positive side for me.

I was worried you were going to tell us about that body you wish you had buried deeper... :ROFLMAO:

Lisak1, Dec 30, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  9. GBBUDD

seandelevan

Speaking of trying to change nature...my father bought a house years ago that has a massive natural pond on it. Probably 200x100 foot big. 20 feet deep. It was your typical pond filled will all sorts of fish, critters, algae, lilies, weeds, duck weed, etc etc etc. For the last 20 years he's been trying to make it basically a clean cut, swimming pool like thing you would find on a golf course. He has spent countless hours and funds on chemicals and machines to do it. And to his disdain nothing works. Frogs, bugs, weeds, algae keep coming back. I've told him to leave it be. But he has taken it personally now.

seandelevan, Dec 30, 2017
  10. GBBUDD

JamieB

3s’s Shoot, Sgovel,Shut up. The local game warden taught my dad that when he had a bad problem with owls, but the Tom cat they had took care of it. This one owl was taking adult cats, any cat, and tried to take the big tom. Well, Deamon was a big beefy boy, pure muscle, and much heavier than you’d think. I picked him up once and almost dropped him cause he was heavier than expected. Needless to say, owl sunk in claws, cat fought back, owl had to go hungry. To heavy to carry off fighting. After the cat healed up, he had a serious hatred for that owl. While out on the porch one night, Dad wat he’d that owl land to get a cat, went to shoot it, and next thing he knew, a ball of fur and feathers was flying. Daemon had attacked, and won. Dad burried the owl mess, and from then on, the owls just pick off the kittens they can get. I know where they nest, and as long as they stick to the stupid cats, I got no problem. They nest in a barn, it’s floor is covered in bones of mice and rodents.

JamieB, Dec 30, 2017
  11. GBBUDD

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Hmmmm....I never said I didn't have a third regret! :sick:

As far as the 2nd, I feel like I abandoned them for other pursuits. It's probably guilt on my side. The one guy I keep up with keeps urging me to go with them for their quarterly get-to-gether, but I feel like I would be pushing myself back into their lives after all this time. Crazy, I know. Ah, enough said......

MoonShadows, Dec 30, 2017
  12. GBBUDD

GBBUDD

Moon shadow don't feel bad many of us took the same path between the new spouse potential kids, career, becoming a home owner we usually had little time for family members let alone distant friends who were chasing there dreams

GBBUDD, Dec 30, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  13. GBBUDD

JamieB

I’m still in touch with my high school best friend, but not so close anymore. Most the others o haven’t seen since I moved away the first time.

JamieB, Dec 30, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  14. GBBUDD

Lisak1

@MoonShadows DO IT!

I reconnected with a group of girlfriends from high school last summer. Some of them were still good friends with one another, others of us had drifted, like you. But now that we are all 50 plus (enough said there!) it just didn't matter anymore. Several who came commented on how hesitant they had been to attend but how glad they were that they did. It's like traveling back in time with people who knew you when you were just becoming you!

None of us has so many friends in our life that we can't welcome a few more, right?

Lisak1, Dec 30, 2017
    JamieB and MoonShadows like this.
  15. GBBUDD

I was a bullied student in junior high, high school. No desire to ever meet or see any body from that time of my life, never went to a reunion, no desire. My real education started when I went to college and left them all behind.

In some ways would be fun to show them all I survived and thrived in life. But no thanks. Most of my adult life was on the other side of the country, just since moving back to MD am I back on my childhood stomping grounds.

addy1, Dec 31, 2017
  16. GBBUDD

Lisak1

@addy1 - that's so sad. I'm sorry to hear that was your experience. You truly have thrived and become your own person in spite of that unfair mistreatment. As much as our awareness has grown about bullying - we no longer blame the victim and suggest they are somehow responsible, for example - we know it still happens.

Out of curiosity, looking back do you think there was anything adults could have done to intervene that would have changed things? I work with high school students and we are always on the alert for situations where students are being singled out for ridicule or bullying, but the fear is that an adult stepping in will only make the situation worse the next time when no one is around to stop it.

Lisak1, Dec 31, 2017
  17. GBBUDD

GBBUDD

I understand fully!!! I had a brace on one leg and a 6" lift on the other shoe. i was told I would never walk again without it. Proved that one wrong . all through elementary school. I was one of the tallest in the school at that age. But anyone who go too mouthy got hard cold steel accidently jammed into there leg or knee. but yeah there were those who went way too far but it made me stronger in the long run when I got off the brace it made me stronger.

GBBUDD, Dec 31, 2017
  18. GBBUDD

If I had told someone, maybe, it was a gang of guys around 20, two leaders and of course their gals. I felt if I said something it would get worse. My dad was a JD physiologist for the county, the students I went to school with knew my dad was involved in their testing, removal from homes, foster care. I was a target.
    I never told my dad, never mentioned it to teachers, just took care of it in my own way, avoidance, lousy grades, not a joiner. Except I did join the rifle club and was a expert shot! lol

addy1, Jan 2, 2018
    Lisak1 likes this.
  19. GBBUDD

Jetz1138

This is my first pond, and you always learn something after you have it for a few years. I'd probably make more of a bog area and slightly larger in size with streams a bit longer and deeper. I really like seeing the fish swim the stream. My wife and I are thinking of moving in 5 years.. too funny, but the one thing we're looking for in a new house is the right land to have the new pond!! rob

Jetz1138, Jan 2, 2018
  20. GBBUDD

GBBUDD

I wish I could make my pond and stream be at the same elevation for the fish to be able to go from the pond and go for a swim down the stream. but there is a power supply cable that will be splitting the pond from the stream area. Buttttt!!!!! where there is a will there is a way I have seen these fish towers as they call them I'm wondering with a self made u shaped fish tank if I couldn't make a ladder / elevator. I absolutely hate the plastic pirates chest bubbling with air or plastic plants in an aquarium but looking out into the garden and seeing fish looking back at you is way to cool. and from the videos I have seen they" the fish " love it to https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...F914A4B5586B2F23738DF914A4B5586B2F2&FORM=VIRE

GBBUDD, Jan 2, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question