MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
well, since you'll probably NEED a submersible pump for the pond anyhow, you can use the one you buy to pump the water from the stream into your BRAND NEW ALWAYS WAS THERE puddle! And then of course, we can routinely needle you about how, once you're done, you're gonna wish it was LARGER!

You could also find a way to collect the rain from your roof, route it through hose(s) and down into your new puddle. Might have to help it out re ph/kh/gh but that prob seems solvable.

All the rain water from my roof leads into a main pipe that empties right into the field where I'll dig the pond....some day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've always been drawn to a formal looking rectangular pond, with raised sides. It would be nice to sit on the edge of the pond and arrange planters at it's edge. Love my pond, but it's irregular shape makes it hard to net and cover when needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m still too new to know. I know for here, raised sides are good, to keep predators out, and for rare flooding, to keep my fish in. I do wish the inside was terraced though, to make planting easier. And I might move it to a more shaded location. Once we get the landscaping figured out right, I can move it though. That’s the joy of a pool/ pond. And I just might try digging it deeper into the ground, it’s set in a big hole about 6” deep now. So if I set it about 2’ deep, but maybe leave some earth in place to create shelves.... I’d have to drain completely, put fish in a good hold tank, measure everything.... gosh darn it! Now I’m really thinking about doing it....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just remember; if you see Missy too, you'll have to supply the biscuits. If her Honey is in tow, surrender a six pack and you're good. For a while.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would dig a pond (or puddle as you call it) in the middle of that field, which I don't think they can say anything about, but I have no way to fill it,
Dig it and then let mother nature fill it when she can!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm pretty happy with my pond, but I would change the shelves - not as many, not as wide and different locations. I originally was going to make the pond smaller, but a friend kept pushing me to make it bigger. So glad that I did, because if it wasn't as big as it is, I would have had to say I wanted a larger pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@MoonShadows - you know we all need to know what the other regret it! ;)

Honestly, other than a bigger pond, I wouldn't change a thing. And our pond is about as big as my small yard can handle. Sometimes I look at it and can't believe we actually built it - it seems like it's always been there. It functions beautifully, it enhances the yard, it's pretty much maintenance free (other than adding a little water now and then). Occasionally we wish we had made the underground rainwater storage about 10 times bigger - it holds 1000 gallons now... 10,000 would have been awesome. My dream was to be able to use it as a giant rain barrel - 1000 gallons isn't enough to make that a reality. The extra water works to keep the pond full most of the time - kind of an alternative to an autofill system.

Funny story - this whole adventure started when we were researching underground rainwater storage. We wanted a place to store water for emergencies and to use to water the gardens as our city water was getting so expensive. As we started looking into how to do that, we came across some ideas to build small water features on top of the underground storage - bubbling boulders or pondless waterfalls - to keep the water moving. That led to the idea "why not build a BIG water feature?" and the rest is history. Be careful where your internet searches take you!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@MoonShadows - you know we all need to know what the other regret it! ;)

Honestly, other than a bigger pond, I wouldn't change a thing. And our pond is about as big as my small yard can handle. Sometimes I look at it and can't believe we actually built it - it seems like it's always been there. It functions beautifully, it enhances the yard, it's pretty much maintenance free (other than adding a little water now and then). Occasionally we wish we had made the underground rainwater storage about 10 times bigger - it holds 1000 gallons now... 10,000 would have been awesome. My dream was to be able to use it as a giant rain barrel - 1000 gallons isn't enough to make that a reality. The extra water works to keep the pond full most of the time - kind of an alternative to an autofill system.

Funny story - this whole adventure started when we were researching underground rainwater storage. We wanted a place to store water for emergencies and to use to water the gardens as our city water was getting so expensive. As we started looking into how to do that, we came across some ideas to build small water features on top of the underground storage - bubbling boulders or pondless waterfalls - to keep the water moving. That led to the idea "why not build a BIG water feature?" and the rest is history. Be careful where your internet searches take you!

LOL. I don't mind mentioning it. The other regret is losing touch with my friends from school. Doesn't sound big, but for me it is.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The other regret is losing touch with my friends from school. Doesn't sound big, but for me it is.

Well, that's fixable! I re-connected with lots of friends from grade school and high school on Facebook. Even people I wasn't necessarily friends with have been fun to get to "know" again! I know not everyone enjoys Facebook, but it does have it's positive side for me.

I was worried you were going to tell us about that body you wish you had buried deeper... :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Speaking of trying to change nature...my father bought a house years ago that has a massive natural pond on it. Probably 200x100 foot big. 20 feet deep. It was your typical pond filled will all sorts of fish, critters, algae, lilies, weeds, duck weed, etc etc etc. For the last 20 years he's been trying to make it basically a clean cut, swimming pool like thing you would find on a golf course. He has spent countless hours and funds on chemicals and machines to do it. And to his disdain nothing works. Frogs, bugs, weeds, algae keep coming back. I've told him to leave it be. But he has taken it personally now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
3s’s Shoot, Sgovel,Shut up. The local game warden taught my dad that when he had a bad problem with owls, but the Tom cat they had took care of it. This one owl was taking adult cats, any cat, and tried to take the big tom. Well, Deamon was a big beefy boy, pure muscle, and much heavier than you’d think. I picked him up once and almost dropped him cause he was heavier than expected. Needless to say, owl sunk in claws, cat fought back, owl had to go hungry. To heavy to carry off fighting. After the cat healed up, he had a serious hatred for that owl. While out on the porch one night, Dad wat he’d that owl land to get a cat, went to shoot it, and next thing he knew, a ball of fur and feathers was flying. Daemon had attacked, and won. Dad burried the owl mess, and from then on, the owls just pick off the kittens they can get. I know where they nest, and as long as they stick to the stupid cats, I got no problem. They nest in a barn, it’s floor is covered in bones of mice and rodents.

Ask a Question