Whats your dream Pond if you were to do it all over again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Birds poop. A lot! I prefer hookbills, like parrots, cockatiels and budgies, to doves. I’d love an aviary, but I doubt I’ll have one. I’ve gotten away from birds. I’d rescue one in a heart beat, wild or pet. In fact, I’ve rescued both, mostly wild ones recently. My mom and I rescued a pair of cockatiels many years ago, that were in horrible condition, more wild than tame, the female was flat out aggressive until we showed her she was safe. That took almost a year of care. The only time I could handle them with out gloves was to take them into the shower with me. Once the water was on, they were good. The male tamed down first, he’d sit on our shoulders, groom us, give kisses, accept a nice scratch on the neck, the female would sit on the shoulder and groom hair that bothered her, but preferred to be left alone mostly. I miss them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Still prefer pondless .A feature and rocks and water with out all the work of caring for fish .I just could see it now running down my front yard .A couple of bottles of peroxide to keep water clean and a little pool at the bottom for birds and deer .Salt to help the animals .Plants and rocks and noise of water splashing and people driving by and admiring it .I can see it right there .Right on the left side of the tree .I can see it in my minds eye ;)
101_1606.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This thread has me rethinking some of my frog ponds. The native Baja California Tree frogs I cater to only need a small pond for breeding. Other than that they need land based habitat.

Now I think a stream and a small pond would be a better solution than just a pond. I have played a little with the concept. I haven't had much luck feeding a pond with a stream as the water from the stream doesn't make it into the pond. I am not using a liner for the stream. I want the water to penetrate the soil and create a moist environment for the frog habitat. I have had better luck with two water feeds. One for the stream and one for the pond. The stream approaches the pond but doesn't enter it. I can use a short stream liner with rocks at the end of the stream which overlaps the pond for a little water fall.

The water would run five or ten minutes per day once or twice a week depending on temperatures. . It is one-way. There is no electricity available for a pump.

Ask a Question