Too early to split hardy lilies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
After tomorrow my water will be in the middle to upper 50s which is warm enough for me to get in there and start working. My lilies are all on the bottom of the pond and I usually put them up close to the surface to get them going as early as possible but this year will be my first time dividing and re-potting them. I've seen people do it to full grown plants, plants with a few full pads and in the fall before lowering them but never to dormat/just waking plants. When is it safe to split them? I don't want this warm break in the weather to get me over anxious! ;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have split mine this early, I do it when I have the time vs any other schedule.
I need to do some splitting, but so far yard and bees consuming my time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@addy1 , Do you split your every year? A friend gave me some lilies last summer and I noted they bloomed their hearts out, as they were newly potted and fertilized .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do them every other year or so. Some grow slow some very fast (tubers) the fast growers I will split every year if they out grow their pot. Colorado grows way fast, usually grows out of its pot by the end of summer.

With new litter and fertilizer they will do beautifully.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
In our climate, the plants only need to be split every three to five years. Great for procrastinators like myself! :)
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have some growing out of their pots. On my list as early as I can get too it. Water is too cold to get in right now. I think 50's is still pretty cold. Brrrr

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pond water is 50ish. Air temp warm. But going down tomorrow. I prob won't mess with them for another month or so. It is a cold messy job if that water is cold, and it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks for your input Addy! Anyone else split this early? Or maybe I should ask at what water temp do you split? And at what temp do lilies start growing? Maybe I will just bring them up and clean them of algae tomorrow and wait to split them.... just to be safe?

I wear a long sleeved tight shirt and pants with another layer over top and it's kinda like a wetsuit. I have been in the pond for 3 hours at 55F, was shivering after I got out but was fine while in it. Pond is 61F right now, I figure it won't go below 55 overnight so I should be good to jump in!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are growing right now, pond in the 40's just now climbing above 50. If i was home and felt like messing with them i would do it now. They are tough plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Mine are growing right now, pond in the 40's just now climbing above 50. If i was home and felt like messing with them i would do it now. They are tough plants.
Yes but your yard is in some weird alternate universe where everything happens faster. lol My lilies are not growing yet. So if they are dormat it is still ok split them?

Only things that are growing is the marsh marigold and it's not even an inch high and my bloody (tri) dock literally grew last night. You said your iris were 8in already, mine are nothing still, just the little bits from last year after trimming. Day lilies too haven't started yet and I think you said yours were. Mind you all of these things are only 1-2 years old which MIGHT be the difference but I know your daffodils are way ahead of mine too and those are....very old. lol

My daylilies, yup that's a picture of nothing. lol
IMG_2103.jpg

Marsh marigold
IMG_2102.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am like Addy I split them when time allows. After the water warms enough (50's) for me to get in there and grab the pots and before they start growing. I am dividing mine today. I don't move my pots to the bottom in the winter though. They stay at about 1.5' down since I never have ice deep enough to freeze them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks @pecan! I was in there today getting the lilies up and into position and did see possible new growth actually. It was too late in the day for splitting though. Maybe I will do it tomorrow then.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can see lil leaves starting to emerge from the baskets in the pond and I KNOW I have to split them this year as I didn't get to it last year...but dang it that waters cold again!!! Our weather keeps skipping around all over the place from 70's to 50's in the day and 30's to 50's at night. Mother nature is totally polar around here anymore and I think I'll wait watch to see that they dont get to big before I have to get cold and get my baskets out to re-pot them. Wish someone was close enough to me so I could give some away! I plan on bringing my old preformed pond over (as my daughter doesn't want it anymore with the lil one and no time for it) so maybe that'll be my lily pond.

Attachments

• whole dam camera again 3 2016 2105.JPG
    whole dam camera again 3 2016 2105.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 279
  • whole dam camera again 3 2016 2115.JPG
    whole dam camera again 3 2016 2115.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 272

Ask a Question