When to replace barley straw?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Years ago I tried the barley bails, then the extract and I didn't see any results. I think it's a waste of money and you're not getting to the root of the problem.
@Lisak1 Gave a great explanation. Nature put the algae there to balance the ecosystem. You need to add lots of plants to compete with the algae and starve it out.

You need adequate filtration as well, along with the plants.

I suffered with solid green water all of 2019. I knew the problem was way too many fish which cause excess nutrients. The fish just keep multiplying.
I had two pressure filters going and one UV light and it was still solid green. The only time I saw my fish was when they came to the surface to eat.

In 2020 I added the bog upflow filter and within a week the water was crystal clear. Eventually all the plants in the bog matured which thrive on the excess nutrients. Those plants, plus the ones in the pond have kept the water clear along with the mechanical filtration performed by the gravel in the bog.

Make sure your filtration is up to par and add lots of plants. Whatever you do, don't add algecide or any other chemicals. You will risk killing your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
My opinion, if the bale is a nasty mess, take it out, maybe replace it or try the extract.
I'm in Florida, so have a 12 month algae growing season. I've used the extract and it didn't do much good, UV and bigger biofilter helped but not enough ... adding a bog and plants was what fixed my problem.
The members above are giving good advice on improving the health of your pond.
Good luck, let us know how it's going.

Ask a Question