When to run aerators?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I almost forgot! I have a breather too. That is huge when the pond freezes over because my pump and aerator can't keep a hole in the ice open.
This year I'm going to try the breather, I bought one for each pond, anything I should know about setting them up?
I keep my aerators always running

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This year I'm going to try the breather, I bought one for each pond, anything I should know about setting them up?
I just make sure the pump does not lay on the bottom of the pond. My 1000 gallon tank I put a rope/wire around the pump and gently pull it up so it is off the bottom. Make sure the clear tube does not get pinched

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

If your pond freezes solid then get two not one... incase one malfunctions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Gemma. They are easy to set up. Just plug in and go. One thing I did was locate it close to my aerator. This way the breather would warm that area a little to help maintain an opening in the ice and snow for the aerator bubbles. When we had a lot of snow you couldn’t even see the top of the breather, but it kept working and did the job. I highly recommend getting them. I lost several fish the year before when the weather was not as cold. I only lost one small fish the whole winter/spring when the only thing I did different was use the breather. They recommend to center it in your pond but I don’t think that’s always practical.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They recommend to center it in your pond but I don’t think that’s always practical.
I put mine right near the edge of both ponds, it has not caused any issues doing that. In the big pond it is in the deep end. In the 1000 gallon pond it is right along the edge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I keep a pair of large aerators going full blast...inside my filter housing at the bottom. It is an upflow design filter and I find the added agitation of the bubbles moving up helps keep the water moving that direction as well, and seems to help eliminate dead zones in the bottom of the filter and eliminate (to some degree) the muck that collects there. Everything runs 24/7/365...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I leave everything running, 24/7 365. Only shut down when I need to repair something.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I turn off my aerator in Fall as it is so cold now at night. I do leave my falls and my spinning ball pump running and they are both attached to filters. Oh also let the edge filter pot keep going also. Water always clears up in the pond when it gets cold. So clear I can see to the bottom. Not that way in Summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I keep a pair of large aerators going full blast...inside my filter housing at the bottom. It is an upflow design filter and I find the added agitation of the bubbles moving up helps keep the water moving that direction as well, and seems to help eliminate dead zones in the bottom of the filter and eliminate (to some degree) the muck that collects there. Everything runs 24/7/365...

I have a 3000 gallon pond and live in A desert Arizona climate.
What brand of aerators are best? When you say large pair, what size do you mean? Do I need two? We have very mild Winters. Is the assembly easy? Or just a plug-in like a breather?
Also, if my pump went out, will these aerators keep the fish alive for several days or so?
Great thanks for
advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a 3000 gallon pond and live in A desert Arizona climate.
What brand of aerators are best? When you say large pair, what size do you mean? Do I need two? We have very mild Winters. Is the assembly easy? Or just a plug-in like a breather?
Also, if my pump went out, will these aerators keep the fish alive for several days or so?
Great thanks for
advice.
These are regular stone aerators running off a large aquarium air pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Belindab77 there are as many types and brands of aerators as there are ponds I have found. They are all basically just an air pump with hosing that attaches to an air stone or diffuser of some type. It can be as simple plug them in and drop the stone in the pond. If you're trying to hide your airlines, you may need to do a bit of digging or hiding, depending on your situation. How many stones you use is dependent both on the air pump (how powerful is it and how many ports does it have) and the size of your pond. You could have multiple air pumps I suppose but it's simpler to have one pump with multiple ports. When we were shopping for a new aerator we looked for one that could stay outdoors - some pumps are meant to be housed inside or at least under some kind of cover. Ours can stay out in all kinds of weather.

In your climate I would run the aerator all year round. Will it keep your fish alive if the pump goes out? It will help, but again a lot depends on the type of fish, how many, how big, how hot it gets and for how long you are without a pump. Remember your pump is doing more than just circulating water - it's also filtering. So your fish may have enough oxygen in the pond but can still be harmed by poor water quality that can happen quickly if your filtration is not functioning.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have this diffuser and it makes tons of bubbles: https://webbsonline.com/Item/Matala-Air-Diffusers-99998
I prolly overdid it on aeration but the fish don't seem to mind. I see them swimming through all the bubbles often.
Have it at one end of my pond so if the fish want a calm place they have the whole other 3/4 of the pond.

IMG_9273.JPG

IMG_8708.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
@Belindab77 there are as many types and brands of aerators as there are ponds I have found. They are all basically just an air pump with hosing that attaches to an air stone or diffuser of some type. It can be as simple plug them in and drop the stone in the pond. If you're trying to hide your airlines, you may need to do a bit of digging or hiding, depending on your situation. How many stones you use is dependent both on the air pump (how powerful is it and how many ports does it have) and the size of your pond. You could have multiple air pumps I suppose but it's simpler to have one pump with multiple ports. When we were shopping for a new aerator we looked for one that could stay outdoors - some pumps are meant to be housed inside or at least under some kind of cover. Ours can stay out in all kinds of weather.

In your climate I would run the aerator all year round. Will it keep your fish alive if the pump goes out? It will help, but again a lot depends on the type of fish, how many, how big, how hot it gets and for how long you are without a pump. Remember your pump is doing more than just circulating water - it's also filtering. So your fish may have enough oxygen in the pond but can still be harmed by poor water quality that can happen quickly if your filtration is not functioning.
Lisa.... thanks for all the info. I looked online and there are different types of aerators Etc. I feel more informed now. Appreciate it. Belinda

Ask a Question