j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
In the winter the fish like to go down to the bottom of the pond where it is warmer and I'm afraid if I leave my big waterfall pump running it will move the water all around and ruin the warmer areas on the bottom and the fish will get chilled. The filter I always take down cuz isn't doing anything anyways. I don't feed my fish all winter and plants are done growing and putting dead stuff in the water. All I do is just leave some little pumps bubbling and an airstone to create holes for gasses to escape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You would think they would stay away from the pump for warmer water, but they stay near it. I do set it up higher on a milk crate. Just in case of a leak, the water will only go down as far as the pump. I drop my plants to the bottom of the pond. Not sure about the bog this year, have to talk to Addy about that one.... whether to leave it run or not.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You would think they would stay away from the pump for warmer water, but they stay near it. I do set it up higher on a milk crate. Just in case of a leak, the water will only go down as far as the pump. I drop my plants to the bottom of the pond. Not sure about the bog this year, have to talk to Addy about that one.... whether to leave it run or not.
I shut mine off, left it full of water, it froze the plants did fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My pond is shelter to it is right below my covered front porch and this past winter was the worst and gets sun almost all day long and it still froze up .I had my pump up also but one of the fish must have knocked it off when the water level started to drop .It probably scared them when the water was going lower .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I shut mine off, left it full of water, it froze the plants did fine.

I had problems with my check valves. The last time I shut the pumps off, both filters drained back into the pond. I need to put shut offs on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My pond is shelter to it is right below my covered front porch and this past winter was the worst and gets sun almost all day long and it still froze up .I had my pump up also but one of the fish must have knocked it off when the water level started to drop .It probably scared them when the water was going lower .

I have never had a problem with losing water. Well, except one year when hubby was trying to keep a hole open with a floor scraper and punctured a couple of holes in the liner. The water went down to a foot. Fish all made it ok and I got a bigger pond :)

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had problems with my check valves. The last time I shut the pumps off, both filters drained back into the pond. I need to put shut offs on them.
Instead of installing a check valve what if you just use a ball valve. I think you will lose some head pressure using a check valve, when you shut off your pumps just shut the ball valve, just be sure it is after your pump (if you have an external).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks taherrmann, my pumps are internal. If I don't get to it before the snow flies, I'll definitely do it in the Spring. Those check valves are a pain ..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go to a plumbing store and get the ball valves there, they work a lot easier than the lowes and home depot ones. Just about the same $$'s to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Go to a plumbing store and get the ball valves there, they work a lot easier than the lowes and home depot ones. Just about the same $$'s to.

Well, wish I would of known that 4 check valves ago .... lol I get everything at Lowes, Home Depot or Menards. I'll have to go to Tru Value down the street from me. I have ball valves on the drains ... I can't turn them, they came from the home improvement stores.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The bigger ball valves are really hard to turn. I have one that came with my filter and it is exceptionally easy like turning a door know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeah, I have a big one on the Bio Falls. Pain in the butt !!!! I need something like a faucet style. It would be so much easier for me.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sunshine in this pic I have attached there is a ball valve with a white handle it is extremely easy to open and close. When I say easy a 5 year old could turn it without a struggle. I don't recall where I got it (maybe if I had Sissy's organized system down I would be able to tell you).

Attachments

• P1020231.JPG
    P1020231.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 238
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I will have to look for one like that. Mine has a red handle, got it from Lowes. I couldn't turn it at the store, but hubby thought it might loosen up ... lol

Ask a Question