When to start?

Reaction score
These are the ball valves I use, 2 inch and they open and shut easily. I got the ones that have one side that can screw off the lines, so we can pull our pump for the winter, you can get ones that both side are couplings. Picked them up at a plumbing store.

View attachment 38499View attachment 38500

Hey Addy.... Be careful with those if you are holding any water presure back using the valve AND taking the union joint off. The union joint actually holds the ball valve in place and against the seal...when you remvoe the union the ball inside moves easily away from the seal which means it will leak. I'm currently in the process of doing a pluming job on my new 150 gallon tank and ended up going with the double union valves which seem to be alot better!

http://www.lowes.com...$200%20-%20$400

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey Addy.... Be careful with those if you are holding any water presure back using the valve AND taking the union joint off. The union joint actually holds the ball valve in place and against the seal...when you remvoe the union the ball inside moves easily away from the seal which means it will leak. I'm currently in the process of doing a pluming job on my new 150 gallon tank and ended up going with the double union valves which seem to be alot better!

http://www.lowes.com...$200%20-%20$400

thanks if it is off it will because we are removing the pump, no water flow to that pipe. The ball valve that holds the bog water in is piped in and won't be disconnected unless we have some sort of piping to do.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
so addy the outdoor wireless thermometer you got, do you leave that outside when the pond freezes over? or do you bring it in for winter?

I leave it in the pond, our temp varies a little, more out of interest / laziness, never thought of bringing it in for the winter. If you do just yank the batteries.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
does it go below the water line or float on the surface? did it freeze solid?

It floats on the surface, last winter it "floated" in the ice and did freeze solid, did not bother it at all.
the probe is below the water surface, I think 3 inches or so. I would need to go measure it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Blessed, I am going to get an air pump, use it to run a couple of air stones, to keep the water moving and adding lots of oxygen to the water. Haven't don't it yet ... but will get the pump soon. Put it under something to keep the weather off of it for the most part, I was told. I also plan to use a floating heater, but I will buy one from the farm store, the type used on tanks. I hear that the ones that are sold for ponds are not as strong, but I will compare their info and see which one is stronger, to keep water thawed in that area. I will unhook my main pump which is on the bottom of my pond, just shoot water from it straight up. Was going to leave the fountain running as well, but I think when I remove the fountain head, it will still be too close to the surface and freeze, unless I somehow attach the heater to stay in that area. Will check that out this weekend, got to put wetsuit on and get in and put few rocks back on edges (dogs keep leaning in to drink the water and knocking them in LOL) and see if I remove the fountain head (I think it's about 6-8" tall, unscrewable type) if it will stay under the water enough to not freeze. Also, if the water is pumping out of it, it will add movement and some oxygen, although not near as much as the air stones that have been recommended on here. Lots to do, but hey, I've got the time. :)

Ask a Question