WHERE DO THE FISH GO?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When the temps drop, I can't see the fish anywhere. I know they're there, but they seem to disappear.

One of these days would love to install an underwater camera feed.

Reaction score
LOL... I was looking out the bay window yesterday and could only see a few fish in the bog/comet pond...didnt get outside to actually look... hubby was pointing out to me this morning "see honey, they're still there" LOL... Nearly no plants, and I can only manage to see 3-4 fish verses when the pond was covered in water hyacinths, I could find all 17 via the window... I cant even "blame" murky water, as I can CLEARLY see the bottom of the pond! They are either hiding between the lily pots (which I can see from the window) or over under the filter, where you can only see from outside... hmmm... maybe for the winter, I should ask hubby to move the filter to the other side,,, ya, right LOL.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine find the bottom nice but hide near the pump or over in the corner under the waterfall .they only come out when they hear my voice out there or see me .pigs :razz:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I stopped feeding long ago. Our temps. & water temps. have varied, so once I stopped, I stopped. But on the warmer days, the fishies still remember me, and hang around, waiting.....waiting.

So far, on the semi-cool days, even when they are slow and deep, I can see a few now & then. I stayed out and looked for a good 30 min. this morning -- water in the mid-40's range -- and couldn't find a single fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I feed them a tiny bit of wheat germ food because the weather goes up and down here and the septic tank nearby keeps the pond warmer .I can't neglect aggie and bert to much I would hurt there feelings .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oooh, my temp. thingy here says it's 29 degrees! Brrrrr!

But seriously, where DO the fish go? With so much exposed area, you'd think they would be visible at some point, even when it's cold.

Ask a Question