Where [in the pond] do you place your lilies?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mine are mostly on my lily shelf. 2 ft deep, all in the center. I have a couple I leave on my marginal shelves too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, I might do some rearranging. All mine are in the middle, but having at least one on the side might be a nice change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Mine are on my shelves on the edge of the pond (18" deep) and others are on top of milk crates in the middle, to be able to place them in other places, too. Some do better in shallower water (the smaller varieties) and others in deeper water (they will all pretty much grow until the pad hits the surface though).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have mine on milk crates, all more or less in the middle, so they're all at about the same depth. Which means that they "flow" toward the shorline. Yes, thinking that having some that "flow" out from the shorline would be nice.

I do need to check the depth, though. I don't always get good leaf production so I may have them too deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have had fantastic luck with huge plants, tons of blooms, until last year. Wondering what has changed in my ponds. Amount of sun has not, fish size has increased in both ponds, filtration is the same. I typically divide them every spring, which I did not do yet this year. Thinking about leaving them as is, and just adding fertilizer tabs/spikes and see if any different. Wondering if the tubers get to be a certain age, and get weaker? I think I usually keep the largest tuber in my pot, and gave away the others. Maybe I need to keep younger smaller tubers this time. Hmm ...Mmathis, are your lilies in full sun, or part shade, or ??? I think that makes a difference, too. Most, if not all, can easily go with just 6" of water over their pots, but the larger types I think prefer to have more space to grow "up" before they grow "out".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thinking about leaving them as is

I think they do prefer an every-other-year schedule of thinning. Or even every third year if your pots are big enough. The year they get thinned they seem to just put energy into pads, not much into blooming.

And our lilies are shallow, deep, middle, sides... I move them around a lot. Keeps the fish guessing! Whenever I move a pot they all converge on the now vacant area like it's the most interesting thing they've ever seen. So I like to provide entertainment!

In all seriousness, I do move all my pots to shallower shelves at this time of year - they get started sooner and faster in the warmer water. Then I move them later to deeper parts of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, my goldfish are right there if I'm messing in the bog or stream, waiting for any goodies that may flow to them. Same thing when I am grooming my lilies, and I'm in the pond. They want to know what is around and behind those pots. I'm sure that's where fry hide ... when they had a chance to hide, that is. Moving the pots shallower after ice is gone is a great idea to get them going quick! I have a few that were first to get pads to the surface, and they are the deepest ones. Must be the variety.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Mine just floats around in the pond , I twist a wire through it and tie it to a rock to keep it in place when it really gets growing .
I can spin it around to trim the old leaves
Once all the leaves die in the winter it sinks to the bottom of the pond,
And waits for new spring growth to lift it back up

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did it with a few they did not do as good as planted one's.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I dropped some tiny lilies in the deep end on Saturday, (they were only a few inches up) and today I've got 4 or 5 pads at the surface. Man they grow quickly. I am really hoping I get a bloom or 2 this summer.

Ask a Question