Where to 1.5 in irrigation tubing

PS3

Reaction score
ok so the bottom chamber is 12 inches high with grate. put a filter on the great right.
then fill the drum with the media but do go past the return?
do i have to put another grate to hold down the media so it dont go past the
return to the pond

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I first made a 1/2" mesh screen to cover my overflow pipe on the inside. Then after It clogged several times I went to a larger opening and made a drilled out pipe with a cap on it to prevent the media from overflowing out.
I'm working on taxes right now. When I get a chance, I will update my web page that has the Bio Filter and it will have a photo of the latest changes.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yes put a top grate on... it allows you to put more media in without losing any over the top of barrel you can set a couple bricks on top to keep it down..thats what i did on my stocktank filter. i filled my upper grate outer ring with sand for weight on my barrel filter.

PS3

Reaction score
so a brick will be ok ? u really have to pack the drum with media
and i guess the water goes thougth the media nice and slow

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you dont really have to PACK it in but as the drum fills with water the media rises with the water if nothings there to stop it it will float out your return and even over the top of the barrel even.. a grate right at the bottom of your waters oulet(water level) will prevent both.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Can you come over to my house and fix me up w/ one of those............I'll fix you dinner......:regular_waving_emot

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If I was still flying into SeaTac every month, I would take you up on that.

I may not be active much for the next week. My wife's mother passed away about an hour ago.:regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
DrDave said:

I may not be active much for the next week. My wife's mother passed away about an hour ago.:sad:

Sorry for your loss DrDave

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
why don't you just buy strapping on ebay? It will more easily fill a barrel and sure as heck be a heap less work. I can't imagine sitting there cutting 7000 pieces of pvc. Plus, that sure as heck is gonna be heavy when you're trying to get it out of the barrel for a good cleaning.

Strapping will be way easier to hose off, too, for cleaning. If you get crud in the pvc tubes, that ain't gonna be easy to keep clean.

Just my little ol' opinion, but you should be able to do better than that. And for less money and effort.

What do you mean by strapping?

Reaction score
poly strapping. yes, you know the stuff that comes wrapped around big boxes when you buy something large and heavy that is usually clamped together with a metal thingee? That's strapping tape. You have to make sure you don't buy the flat one, but rather the one that is textured (they call it "embossed" with the divits (not fully smooth). Usually that one is a silvery gray or black. You buy the 1/2" wide tape.

Here's someone selling it on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-2-STRAPE...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3cab737647.

You just need to make sure to ask them if it's the embossed one. Usually a roll of 7,000 ft is more than enough for a 55 gallon barrel. Great stuff, lasts forever. Just shove it into a netted bag and stuff it in a barrel. Then once a month just yank out the bag and slam it on the ground to get rid of the thick stuff.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
DrDave said:

I may not be active much for the next week. My wife's mother passed away about an hour ago.:sad:

I saw this on another post and I'm very sorry for your family.

Reaction score
DrDave said:

Sorry for your loss, Doc! Blessings to your wife.

Reaction score
DrDave said:

Sorry for your loss.

Ask a Question