ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Anyone know where I can find some great deep red koi, such as an Aka Haijiro or Aka Matsuba or Benigoi or Higoi. Like, SOLID red koi. Maybe. Anyone have some, or anyone know someone who sells them or breeds one, or where I can order some?

Reaction score
I've order koi from the internet before this time of year. I ordered 4 and they were beautiful, unfortunately only one survived the Winter. The only fish I have ever lost in the winter was the three that I put in the pond in the Fall. I've since read that new Koi shouldn't be added to a pond within a few months of the Winter freeze. If you're going to purchase a beautiful Koi and spend some $'s on it/them, I personally would wait till late Spring.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
DITTO on baeya's post...get them in spring and quarentine..put them in the pond in late spring time, or even better early summer...spring time is when parasitic, viral, and disease causing bacterias are already active, but fishes immune systems are still building up after the long winter stress.you want to quarentine anyways or maybe you dont but should.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I want to get some Red koi I can breed. Maybe some Sanke would work... See, I want to further my koi breeding business by having some red, red and white, red and black, and some red, white, and black koi. It would be a gimmick, I would sell "Husker Koi", Husker-colored fish that were born and raised in Nebraska. I really think they would sell too... But first I need some Husker-colored parents!

Reaction score
Like this:
benigoi.jpg

Search for Benigoi which is just the term for deep red. It can turn up on all types.

And then food selection can help (or hurt) the color. Understand this is a peak color. When younger or older the color can be more orange.

Ask a Question