Why is there such a hatred for string algae?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Any of it I've touched, just fell apart like mush.

If it's falling apart when you touch it, it's not what people refer to as string algae. String algae is exactly what it sounds like - stringy. It's tough stuff.

And I think many people don't mind a bit of string algae - or algae of any kind for that matter - but it can take over a pond and that's when it becomes a nuisance. What people need to do though is ask themselves why it's there in such abundance. Something is out of balance. Fix the cause and the algae will be manageable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If it's falling apart when you touch it, it's not what people refer to as string algae. String algae is exactly what it sounds like - stringy. It's tough stuff.

And I think many people don't mind a bit of string algae - or algae of any kind for that matter - but it can take over a pond and that's when it becomes a nuisance. What people need to do though is ask themselves why it's there in such abundance. Something is out of balance. Fix the cause and the algae will be manageable.
Oh! I stand corrected. I thought that stringy stuff that disintegrated in my hand was string algae. I guess it's more of a solid plant than an algae.

Ask a Question