Wildlife pond started to stink...

Reaction score
Nepen said:
After I stopped using the pump, 4-5 weeks ago, my little pond is still clear and all the plants took over.
That is pretty cool to see isn't it? Many people think without a pump a pond becomes a stagnant cesspool, but nature has its own ideas.
Nepen said:
Conclusion - the first 3-4 weeks with the pump helped build good bacteria enough to sustain life then after that life took over and florish :)
Hard to say, these things are so complex. But I wouldn't discount other bugs and algae also getting a kick start...or maybe it would have happened even with a pump at all. That's the cool thing about Wildlife Ponds imo, super complex, but we just sit back and enjoy while nature handles the complexities.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
adavisus said:
Yup, every year ponds will fill with new tads and very few survive when the dragonfly larvae, water beetles, water spiders know where to find them

Creating an exclusion area, like a bucket with some curtain net draped over would increase survival rates, stopping the dragonflies from laying eggs, in the nursery

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
My little pond is too small to set any exclusion area - but next year if I ever have frog lay eggs in my pond (didnt have any this year) I'll probably try to set little bucket for some and leave some in the pond for nature food chain :)

Waterbug said:
That is pretty cool to see isn't it? Many people think without a pump a pond becomes a stagnant cesspool, but nature has its own ideas.Hard to say, these things are so complex. But I wouldn't discount other bugs and algae also getting a kick start...or maybe it would have happened even with a pump at all. That's the cool thing about Wildlife Ponds imo, super complex, but we just sit back and enjoy while nature handles the complexities.
It is pretty cool. I've notice that I have not seen many algea in my pond at all though. a little on the side wall but no green water or string algea, that goes for my big pond too. I'm not complaining!!

It is deffinately fun to watch all different kind of bugs and spider webs came. I still have to get a couple small fish to put in for mosquito control, well, that's a food chain too :) I want small fish so it wont be able to eat tads or nymps.Trying to increase those population right now.

Reaction score
Nepen said:
I've notice that I have not seen many algea in my pond at all though. a little on the side wall but no green water or string algea, that goes for my big pond too. I'm not complaining!!
Doesn't take much. Very powerful stuff.

Ask a Question