Will minnows cross-breed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had aquariums in the past and seem to remember white Mollies breeding with all black ones creating color mashups. And pretty sure I had a Swordtail/Platy hybrid, as well as various guppy colors from wild feeder + store color hybrids.

Wondering about mixing various types of minnows togethers for possible pond fish. Anyone do this, even by accident? Did offspring inherit colors from both? Live longer? Get fussy about water, etc.?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
It seems not? I have golden White Cloud Mountain minnows but they are in a pond with danios and goldfish, no other types of minnows. (And no one tries to eat the minnows, btw). What types of minnows did you have in mind?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think minnow is just a generic term for a sleek, small fish. They may not be related at all. The other hybrids you mention are either the same species or very closely related species.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I think minnow is just a generic term for a sleek, small fish. They may not be related at all. The other hybrids you mention are either the same species or very closely related species.
You are right on, Eric! Wikipedia lists 144 genera of fish considered "minnows", including such European pond fish as the Rudd, Roach and Tench, some of which grow to considerable size. There are, however, a number of different species of Dace, for instance, and most of these should be able to cross-breed. The same goes for the Rasboras, and probably many other genera. However, if you are planning on a Rasbora/Roach cross, I wouldn't hold my breath!
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I was referring to actual "minnows." I ended up with some Pimephales (fathead/rosy-red) from a bait shop, so if something like that and say a Tanichthys (white cloud) could cross-breed, etc..
I don’t think intergeneric hybrids happen very often in the wild? You’d be better off at least picking species all within the same genus.

You might find this study interesting, it’s a science experiment to create an intergeneric carp hybrid, and carp are relatively closely related to minnows, so potentially some relevance. Note that spawning was done artificially by the scientists and didn’t occur naturally, and that there was a high rate of deformity and mortality in the off-spring. Not an experiment I’d want to do for fun…

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, was shining the flashlight over shallow end in the water after dark tonight (water is perfectly clear right now; all previous tadpoles left; only a handful of minnows made it, but they might as well have stealth camo as it's very hard to spot them swimming), then saw something strange. The light was casting hundreds of little shadows on the rocks, but I couldn't see anything in the water (?). Worried mosquito larvae had invaded, so got down to a few inches from the surface and saw what must have been a few hundred minnow fry! Interestingly, they were attracted to the light (like adult minnows) and if light was left in same spot, they came over to it. They literally must have just hatched because they were incredibly tiny. Had to take my glasses off to even see them. Could barely make out 2 little black eyes, but they might as well be insect larvae at that size, or just unraveled frog egg tad poles.

Anyhow, pretty cool to see bait shop minnows survive then prosper. Water temps are probably perfect for them right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Its alway cool to see the first spawn its like the first kid. Everyone gets excited. Spend hours watching them swim around playing. Then by the 3rd and 4th spawning and the population has exploded its not so much anymore.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, pretty surprised by the amount that was coming up to the flashlight. Saw extremely tiny and maybe a day or 2 olds, so looks like more than one spawned. Only ever had livebearers before and usually had several that'd make it. Frogs should get fat if they stop being lazy.

Well, neighbor's son lives a few houses down and he built a massive 300' x 300' pond/lake way back in the property. If it gets out of hand, maybe he'd take some of the excess as he stocked all types.

Reaction score
Country
United States
oxy moron. as he has predictors im sure he would
So, there's roughly 15 to 20 resident green frogs in the pond, with 2 adult males that have territory. 98% of the time, they rarely move and are apparently getting used to me as I can get within a foot of some of them now, other times they'll pop up right next to me if sitting. However, throw an earth worm near one on the shore or even the lilly pads, and they'll break character and pounce on it. It's like watching Frogger on Atari with the body movements. Funniest thing as they apparently predate from under the leaves waiting, and pounce. Dangle a snail on a long piece of grass, and they'll jump up to eat it. But..... stuff swimming in the water or dropped into it, seems to get ignored. Even though their eyes are more upwards oriented, they can definitely see stuff on the ground and below them.

Any how, not holding my breath they'll gorge on the minnows.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bull frogs will eat ANYTHING they can catch Frogs bird lizards mice chipmunk snake bugs beetles any bug , fish anything they can get down there throat

Reaction score
Country
United States
bull frogs will eat ANYTHING they can catch Frogs bird lizards mice chipmunk snake bugs beetles any bug , fish anything they can get down there throat
Green frogs don't get as big as bull frogs. The largest female green frogs I've seen have a 4 to 5" body and probably another 5 to 6" if their legs are stretched out. Most in the pond are smaller though. I've yet to see any bull frogs (thankfully) and will probably remove any if they appear.

Ask a Question