Winter in Canada

Reaction score
I have 8 gold fish and 5 koi (new this year). About this time I pull out the fish to winter them in my basement. This year I have pulled the goldfish and all are doing fine. The koi have all hidden behind rocks so I can't see them to get them out. I have heard that there is some sort of heating device that I can put into the water that I am hoping will help them out. I just need to get them visible so I can net them. Any ideas? I really don't want to lose them, but there fate is doomed if they stay where they are.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Shane
If you have rocks in your pond, you are asking for trouble. Clearly, the koi are using them to hide as well. I suggest removing all rocks from the bottom and you will be able to catch the koi and avoid the problems which we can discuss later.

Reaction score
Easier said than done. The pond they are in has 3 depth tiers, each with larger rocks on the sides. There is nothing but 2 inch gravel on the bottom of each. They are hiding on the sides. I would need to pull my pond apart to find them. I know now I should have pulled them earlier, but I treated them the same as the gold fish, which has never been a problem. I can only think of putting some sort of heater into the water to help them out. Not worried really on the cost. Just looking for options.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Some photos might help. We have some clever people here.
Can you net off the area where they hide and get them into the open? It may take 2 or 3 helpers to do it.
I never chase Koi when I catch them, instead I wear them down by following them with a large net under them until I can raise it and trap them.

Reaction score
They are hiding in the rocks. I have not seen them for 4 days. I would like to know if there is a heater of some sort to put into the water. Winter is near. The water temp in already below 65F I would guess. I’m pulling at straws at this point. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good system to warm the water for the short term. Long enough to pull them out of hiding, so I can pull them out at get them into my basement.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
OK, I'm not in cold country, but we have many here that are; in the meantime, do some searches on this forum, there are hundreds of posts and many photos of what other have done and are doing.
Try doing a search for "heater" to start with.

Ask a Question