Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is now

The snow is sticking to everything.

PANO_20131210_092835_0871.jpgPANO_20131210_093045_3141.jpgPANO_20131210_092856_6611.jpg

missy trying to get outside with me

IMG_20131210_093128_5691.jpg

The view from our windows.

IMG_20131210_093112_8451.jpgIMG_20131210_093108_8701.jpgIMG_20131210_092948_0461.jpgIMG_20131210_092938_7891.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Your pics are amazing, Addy. I know ice is very damaging, but it sure makes for some gorgeous unique pics. JB, loves your pics as well!!!
I have a winter sower friend that is growing me some beauty berry plants for next year. Got too late to transplant them this fall when we talked about it. I would love a start of the bamboo, Addy, or even some seeds from the berries when they are done! I'm sure my friend can reproduce them, too. :) Be happy to pay shipping in the springtime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, just saw the video of Missy. She is a cut-up! Can't believe she loves the snow like that. You would think little dogs too prissy to enjoy the cold and wet stuff. That little girl is gritty. WTG Missy! And hadn't yet seen the heavy snow pics. Absolutely love the second to last one, kind of a tunnel through the trees. Postcard beauty!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Addy cant help but watch that video with a smile on your face. She does look like she loves it!

Sure would love some of the starts of the bamboo as well. Love those berries and all the better if the birds like them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You guys remind me in the spring, unless we warm up, too cold now to pull them, i.e ground froze. Can't find them under the snow lol, which will melt. They grow well, send out plants via roots, not invasive like real bamboo, but every now and then a side plant pops up. good to zone 5, -10 they will die back to the ground but come back. I have dropped to 5 or so since planting them, no damage at all, sometimes the very top branches will be dead in the spring, just chop them off.

They add so much color during the winter, I watch the cardinals munch on the berries. CE this site says growing from seeds can take years to even propagate them. Better to do cuttings, or dig up a small side plant.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/nandina.html

Turns out she loves the snow, just hard to keep her warm enough. Haver, it is hard to video her, she moves fast and once she sees me she runs over to me. When she first was in the snow, her hair was longer on her feet, it clumped up, she would not put her hind foot down because of the snow ball clump. I trimmed some of the long hairs off so the snow does not stick as much.
When I walk her now, I put one of my dad's heavy wool socks on her, I cut the toe off for her head, made leg holes. The sock covers her body totally to the tail and tight fitting, extra toe material wraps around her neck to her ears. Then over that goes a sweater or a coat, she does better with just a knit sweater over the sock unless it is darn cold ow she is like the kid that can't move due to the coats. We walk every day, today waiting until it warms some, 18 per my temp gauge, too cold for the little one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
LoL that is hilarious you can fit her into a sock! Hey what ever keeps her warm! Maybe we need a video of her getting all dressed up to go out side. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
haver79 said:
LoL that is hilarious you can fit her into a sock! Hey what ever keeps her warm! Maybe we need a video of her getting all dressed up to go out side. :)
I would need to do it when honey is home, it is a job! She still thinks, which is great, that everything done is play time. No way I can dress her and film at the same time.

The neighbors made a small snow man, she decided it was evil! I will post later a very short video of her attacking the snowman! She growls at it every time we walk past it.

Ask a Question