Winter prep

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first winter and I have a bunch of marginal plants in pots on a ledge. Some are in dirt some are just in rocks, all are in pots. Zone 5. Do I need to put my reeds, iris, creeping Jenny, swap mellow, pickerel and others in deep water or leave as is. Some have grown their roots out of their pots and onto the rocks. If I have to move them into deep water do I cut them all off to the crown and stick them in deep water, do I wait till they all die and then cut them back? Do I even have to move them. What about my hardy lilies? I plan to keep the pump going to keep water moving and to keep the pond from freezing solid. It’s 1100 ish gallons 8 x 10 36 inches at the deepest. Thanks!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your marginal plants are what I have in my bog. They stay there all winter, bog freezes solid. Hardy lilies can be cut back and lowered to the deep section of your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I second mrsclem; they're okay to freeze, just don't let them dry out. Careful re some reeds as if you cut them and water gets in, they'll rot. I forget which (I have horsetail and that is one for sure), so do a quick google for each of your reed types.

smilie sword twirl.gif

Ask a Question