Winterizing my new pond

Reaction score
Hi all... I'm new here. I'm also new to pond-keeping.

I have a 125 gal pond (18" deep) that I have 3 large goldfish in. I'd like to keep them in there this winter and winterize the pond properly and have a few questions.

Will a de-icer be good enough? I've tried to see what would be the best fit for my pond and I've come up with this: OASE Icefree Pond De-Icer. The OASE Icefree relies on an energy-efficient water pump to keep a portion of the pond free of ice. A pump suspended by a 5" diameter float transports warmer pond water up to the surface.

What else do I need to know? What about plants? I don't really have facilities to keep them indoors... can I keep any of them in the pond by trimming all foliage and placing at bottom of pond? I do have a few terra cotta containers for the fish at the bottom of the pond.

Thanks for any advice!
Teri

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. Please add your Location using the User CP at the top of this page so we can better assist you.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If i remember right it gets cold up there,,
you could make a small frame and cover your pond with plastic, like a green house to help hold some heat in there...
The de-icer will help keep a hole in ice.
And i would sink your plants to the bottom when they die back

Ask a Question