addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't cut my pennywort back, the lilies do get groomed and put in the bottom of the pond so the tubers don't freeze. The forgetmenot I just leave it be, once it dies back you can cut the yucky dead stuff off, leave the roots it will come back in the spring. That is what you have in the waterfall.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are in the bog, when I turn the bog off for the winter the pea gravel is dry and then freezes. I would think yours would be ok, you could take some clumps and place them where there is more water, then you have some dry some wet see which do the best in the spring.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am not sure what the tall plant is, might be an arrowhead?
I am pretty rough on my plants, they all get to stay where they are and either make it or not. I gave up on bringing plants in for the winter. Everything I have now survives our winter.
Sometimes I groom in the fall, ie once the plant dies back I cut them back, other times I groom in the spring. The lilies get fall groomed cut all old leaves flowers off and then sink them for the winter.

Reaction score
I am in CA, I have water hyacinth, pennywort and water lilies and the lettuce plant in my koi pond. Shall I cut them all back? The water hyacinth seems to take over and doesn't leave much room for the other plants. Any ideas, as it doesn't usually get very cold here! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 280
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Jacque, if your water hyacinth grows all year long, then the only way to thin it out is to find someone that wants your excess or toss the extras. They will continue to multiply, so you have to thin then out Very nice WH, BTW! If your lilies don't freeze, it's possible they grow year round, or just slow down in the winter. Those of us who have ponds that freeze in the winter, cut them back, as they will die back anyhow, and that way the stems and leaves don't clog up a skimmer or make a mess on the bottom of the pond. The only time lilies have to be sunk is if they are on a shallow shelf. My lilies are all 18" deep or deeper, so they stay where they are. Ice never gets more than 4" deep here ... so far anyhow.
As far as cattails that someone asked about, you can let them die, and then cut them back, or you can cut them back now. I have cattails, they are still green, although some of them are turning brown. When they go brown, I cut them back to the water level. Doesn't matter if you cut them back below or above water, they will come back from their roots next year. Make it look how you want it to look. :) Irises and grasses can be left alone. Again, if/when they die, as Addy said, then cut back the dead stuff. Many of these plants stay green for a very long time.
Try not to overthink plants. If your plants are tropical and you are not in a tropical zone, then you have 2 choices: bring in the tropicals, or toss them and buy new next year.
Addy, while cleaning up things around my pond, I found 3 small pots I had put the star grass in you sent to me earlier this year! Wondering if I should leave it in the bog (in the small pots or bare root plant it?) or bring them in this winter and see if they take off better next year? The only other things that come in are the elephant ears and taros, as they are not winter hardy in my zone 6a.
Today I tossed a HUGE amount of Penny Wart, it had grown en masse in my koi bog. It has taken over my goldfish pond bog, too, but that's ok, that bog is full of that kind of plant. I, too, do nothing to it when winter comes. Just let it die, and if there is a lot of dead matter, gather that up later. It's far less to gather than trying to cut all the stems off.
Lizard tail that I have is planted bare root in my bogs, like Addy says it doesn't matter much on the depth. When it dies back, I gather any dead matter, otherwise don't do anything. It comes back from the roots.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My star grass (not rated for here) has come back two winters now. It is just in some big pots on the deck. Never thought it would survive. The star grass planted directly in the bog died, it might have been overtaken by the other plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The star grass I got from you, Addy, was in the stream, being taken over by parrots feather. So, after I removed all the cattails from koi bog, I put the pots in there. Will see if they survive the winter in the bog.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CountryEscape said:
The star grass I got from you, Addy, was in the stream, being taken over by parrots feather. So, after I removed all the cattails from koi bog, I put the pots in there. Will see if they survive the winter in the bog.
lol I know CE just was totally surprised it came back by itself after sitting in deck pots and freezing over the winter. I brought some in last winter, fought bugs all winter from the soil in the pot, so leaving it all outside this winter.

Reaction score
Iris's, Taro, pickerel rush,etc all need to be exposed to air, not submersed in water. Either cut them back and allow them to freeze at there set depth, or bring them in to a small pool for the winter.
Well, looks like I should have kept reading instead of writing! I just posted that I have decided to do almost what you suggest. I had an iris that never bloomed for over six years. It was always out of the water except maybe that first season. It finally bloomed this year after I re-potted it. I put one pot in the pond, eventually raising it until the top of its soil water the same as the pond surface. The other one has remained sitting on the "garden" surface.

This is the first time in a long time I've had water hyacinths, however. I've heard that I should just let them die back and let the roots sink. I don't have a bottom drain, just a pump that will be shut off soon. I'll try to vacuum the bottom before doing that, however. Maybe the shubunkins can curl up in the hyacinth root bundles for 'warmth!' :cheerful:
I know they will survive, even above ground in my area (Zone 7?). But I was thinking I should lower the one in the pond to keep it a bit warmer this Winter. Sounds like even that may not be needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If you get hyacinths to overwinter in your pond, xabD, we all want to know about it! They are VERY hard to keep alive through winter it seems in any weather except maybe FL and CA. :blueflower: Pretty sure once the leaves die, the roots will follow suit shortly. But, good luck, and keep us posted next spring.

Reaction score
Maybe my two 'black thumbs' will help? I wondered about how the root system would remain 'alive' or even dormant without the leaves/rest of the plant, but I'm only a 'gardener' because I have walked by a garden! :bowdown: I've been in garages before but I'm still not a mechanic! LOL.

So, how do these things actually maintain their presence? They obviously have 'runners' that allow the plants to spread. But they must be considered somewhat 'tropical' in that they simply don't 'migrate' into cooler zones? I suspect keeping some in the frig would be useless, also. Oh well, the ones I got, rather late this year, were quite vigorous and lush. Buying more next season is not going to 'break the bank.'

Thanks for the info and offers of luck! :cheerful:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That's what most people do, buy more each year. :blueflower: They are not that expensive, and if you have a good climate to grow them, then a few will soon be PLENTY, so really not expensive. I have tried them 2 years in a row, failed totally the first year. Last year I bought a BUNCH ... stupid since if a few would grow, they would have multiplied, but the large lot of them was as cheap as 10 from the local place. Anyhow, they did fantastic for about a month, then started dying off. Put in a netted floating ring, still dying. Put in stream, bog, both ponds, still dying. So, tossed all the dead ones, put the remaining 10 or so in a couple of large pots that I was trying to grow lotus in (which also failed, BTW), and voila, they flourished! I thought they were too hot in my water, full sun, but if they grew in the pots of far less water, and far hotter, that wasn't the problem. I'm still not sure what it is with hyacinths that they don't like with my water, but thinking it has more to do with maybe the PH of the water, or something more like that.
So, as I said, if you had good luck this year, then buy them sooner next year, and watch them multiply. The roots will die, too, with the colder weather/water. Sorry. :bye2:

Reaction score
Lilguy said:
I only have hyacinth and water lettuce , nothing planted. Should these be pulled?
My pond is small, buried 110 gal livestock trough, oval, vertical sides about 30 inches deep.
Everything is doing well, 7 4-5 inch comets and koi mix. This will be my first Chicago winter
with a permanent pond installation.
Yes Lilguy, both of those plants will die with the freeze, and then you'll have a mess of decomposing muck to clean up come spring. So it's best to pull them before they sink..

Welcome btw :wave: good to have ya.

Ask a Question