sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey how much rock did you spread with that little red wheel barrow LOL oh and after your done with it can I borrow it or can you tell me where you bought yours

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
So sissy what do you use to insulate your pipe? Not sure if I will do it for the Flex PVC as it is already buried and the only thing that may dig for it would be rabbits, chipmunks or mice. But they usually are racing around on top of the snow, hibernating, or digging little tunnels in the grass under the snow near the house respectively. But I will be using corrugated tubing for my filter and might want to cover that with something to keep it stronger since I will only partially bury that since I will be disconnecting the filter in winter. Just added an overflow drain in case we get another day where we get 2" of rain, lol. Hardly ever happens here all at once like it did last thursday which is why I think the level of the pond rose so quickly. At first I thought I was gonna have a run off problem, but a few rains since then have barely raised the water level so it should be enough.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Here are more updates (been awhile since I updated so will be a long one):

DSC03349.JPGDSC03352.JPG

The overflow drain I put in for extreme down pours so I don't have to worry about the pond overflowing. I also added dirt to create a small berm around the lower edges of the pond.

DSC03353.JPGDSC03358.JPG

Here is the waterfall return I am making for the mechanical filter.

DSC03362.JPG
The pond as a whole at this point.

DSC03364.JPG

The finished upper pool

DSC03369.JPG

The finished overflow drain.
DSC03371.JPGDSC03372.JPG
The footings for the deck next to the pond.

DSC03379.JPG
This is how far the water goes up into the stream when it is not running.

DSC03386.JPG

This is the progress I have made on the filter waterfall return. I got a little carried away/sloppy with the waterfall foam but hoping that algae will cover it up a bit for me. And I am still scraping it off my fingers because i forgot to put my gloves on before using it. They were sitting a foot away.

Here is the stream as I started up the pump. And the ball valve I added in the upper pond.

DSC03387.JPGDSC03390.JPGDSC03391.JPGDSC03392.JPGDSC03394.JPGDSC03396.JPGDSC03397.JPGDSC03399.JPGDSC03400.JPGDSC03401.JPGDSC03402.JPGDSC03404.JPGDSC03406.JPGDSC03408.JPGDSC03409.JPG

Here are pictures of the deck in progress:
DSC03411.JPGDSC03415.JPGDSC03416.JPGDSC03417.JPGDSC03418.JPGDSC03419.JPGDSC03420.JPG

I am just waiting for my tubing to arrive before I add the mechanical filter and finish laying rocks for the return. I plan to put landscape fabric and stones under the deck and will finish the deck last. Then I will begin moving/adding plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow great job....... keep on going, that deck will be so neat. Love the water start at the top of the stream.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Beautiful job! The gushing water at the top of the stream is wayyyyyyyyy cool! And now the deck you are putting in is going to look very nice also. Coming together just fine! Waiting for more pics.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Thanks everyone! Probably going to wait until the filter return is finished before I lay the decking on, but wanted to get the frame in place. Screwed all the boards on, but plan to bolt the ones that extend over the pond in place for added support. Then will start placing plants and spreading out the excess dirt at the top of the garden. Mulch and weeding will be last! Sorry, going on vacation in the state for most of this week, so will be a little while before I post more pics, but I plan to keep doing so until I finish.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have a great vacation! The pond will be there when you get home.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
best time to think on it is when you are not around, lets the mind wander

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Well I am back from vacation and have been busy finishing the pond and the landscaping. I also picked up my winterizing supplies (well 95% of them, as always last minute ideas). There will be a lot of pictures as I have done a lot without updating this page. Hope you all enjoy!

DSC03878.JPG

Here is the upper part of the garden before it has been landscaped. On the back side near the fence you can see a lot of plants that I moved there that used to be spaced in the garden but were in the way while I put in the pond.

DSC03881.JPG

Here's one of the many visitors who have been attracted to the pond. I also have a Frog who moved in, my wife has named him Trevor, but he likes to hide most of the time.

DSC03888.JPG

Here is the bench I built into the deck to cover the corner. Could also be used as a planter shelf if I wanted to, but will probably stay a bench for extra seating.

DSC03889.JPG

Here is another pic of the garden before I started to landscape the rest of it.

DSC03891.JPG

Here is the finished deck.

DSC03892.JPG

Here is the filter return waterfall as I began to landscape it. The landscape fabric on the mound is to help avoid erosion. The other landscape fabric in the picture is where I put a pine bark path (wanted to do a dirt path to resemble a well worn hiking trail, but was afraid of erosion problems during heavy rains).

DSC03896.JPG

Here is another view of the progress on the backside of the garden as I began to spread out the dirt.
More pictures to follow. Will add a few each day. Let me know what you think.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You want to know what I think............................I love it and you have done such a nice job on everything. You will really enjoy the deck right there by the pond so much!

Ask a Question