Wisconsin Pond Build

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Photography' started by herzausstahl, Jul 12, 2011.

1. herzausstahl

j.w I Love my Goldies

@herzausstahl that would be @callingcolleen1 that mentioned your nice clear water. Love that fence you made out of el naturel sticks!
    If I had koi I would choose Butterflies as well as they are such flowing beauties :)

j.w, Sep 27, 2016
    herzausstahl and callingcolleen1 like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. herzausstahl

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

Ya, that fence looks good rustic and like the old farm homestead look. I like that look, charming and brings back memories of my grampa's farm. Nice place to relax and forget about the crazy world....

callingcolleen1, Sep 28, 2016
    herzausstahl likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. herzausstahl

herzausstahl herzausstahl

It will be if I ever reach the point of leaving things alone & just enjoying it. Lol this summer I've been too busy to even weed the garden. Gonna see if I can get to it in the next month otherwise it will be next spring. Luckily it's all pretty much aesthetic so it doesn't have to be done right away.

herzausstahl, Oct 2, 2016
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
  4. herzausstahl

I have the same problem here too. Worked so hard on my greenhouse and work, fell behind on housework and yard cleanup. Big freeze coming here next week...

callingcolleen1, Oct 2, 2016
    herzausstahl likes this.
  5. herzausstahl

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Big freeze = dead weeds = no weeding!

addy1, Oct 2, 2016
  6. herzausstahl

CometKeith

Nathan. I like your pond with all the vegetation around it. I think it came out great. Are all your fish goldfish?

CometKeith, Oct 4, 2016
    callingcolleen1 and herzausstahl like this.
  7. herzausstahl

Right now yes Keith, it's the common feeder goldfish in pet stores & Shebunkins. I had a mishap a cpl years ago of my koi getting bigger & my 1800 gph winter pump died in October/November & I foolishly replaced it with a 450 gph I had on hand. Lower pond was overpopulated with that smaller pump & I lost all koi plus 1 larger goldfish. So I built the upper pond with the intention of putting koi in that, only 2-3. I have a Laguna 1300 gph for the lower I'll use this winter & a 2400 gph I'll use for the upper in winter when I get koi. With the 1800 gph a few years ago when we had that really bad cold all fish survived, so I definitely think it was the pump & lack of oxygen. Rookie mistake on my part after that winter thinking the 450 would cut it. How is your build/move going? I've been too busy with work & upcoming home remodeling to weed the pond area. We are replacing carpet & linoleum with Vinyl Plank installed glued down. It'll cost similiar to hard wood but with the 3 cats, dog & 2 kids we like the waterproof & resiliency benefits of the Vinyl better. The salesperson told us too with the glue down if a plank gets damaged they can hear it up, pry it up & replace it. Do you have any experience with it?

herzausstahl, Oct 7, 2016
    sissy and CometKeith like this.
  8. herzausstahl

Addy this is why I'm not worried about the weeds this fall. I plan on attacking what reg rows in the spring! And ironically Countryescape (Patti right?) I have a bunch of milkweed in the garden but haven't seen many monarchs, but I try to leave it anywhere in the yard in case they stop by.

herzausstahl, Oct 7, 2016
    addy1 likes this.
  9. herzausstahl

My plan was to stay ahead of the weeds this summer, but constant rain, then record heat kept me from doing it, then they were way beyond control. I did manage to yank a bunch of them before they seeded. Others ..........winter is coming lol.

addy1, Oct 7, 2016
    herzausstahl and Tula like this.
  10. herzausstahl

Tula

I heard you, on the heat and humidity. I was doing well with the weeds, till I was away for a week...upon return...it was hopeless - LOL. Ready for them to get frost bit :)

Tula, Oct 7, 2016
    addy1 likes this.
  11. herzausstahl

CometKeith

Hey Nathan, Sorry to hear about you losing fish. That's never fun. lt's cool about your girls helping and spending time with dad. I spent a lot of time with my daughter when she was young and didn't regret a minute of it. She is 22 now and quite independent. I have a 2000 GPH pump and a smaller 400-600 pump so I hope I will be okay. Actually i bought a bunch of rocks the other day.... 5500 lbs to be exact as I was going to start setting them around the liner. My wife heard about it and wasn't happy. She said their home can't be done until her home and construction project is done and no way will the fish have their home done first. Okay. i gave in. i figure it's not worth the battle and probably if we wait until spring we will have a really great overall design. I hope my liner is okay over the winter but it looks like it's going to stay that way now for a while. The fish are all doing good. I lost one since the move and I hope that's it. Keith

CometKeith, Oct 8, 2016
    callingcolleen1 and herzausstahl like this.
  12. herzausstahl

Lisak1

In my yard the weeds are the last to die and the first to start growing in the spring. They never give up!

Lisak1, Oct 8, 2016
    callingcolleen1 and addy1 like this.
  13. herzausstahl

With the bit of rain we just got the suckers are sending up seedlings.

addy1, Oct 8, 2016
  14. herzausstahl

Are you worried about it shifting with the freeze thaw Keith or UV exposure? And all good husbands understand the mantra "happy wife, happy life!" Lol even if we try to push the envelope on occasion!

herzausstahl, Oct 12, 2016
  15. herzausstahl

I'm sorry to hear you lost your koi and big goldfish last year. It is a very common mistake people make, as the fish get larger, they need more oxygen, and in winter (or anytime of year) when the biggest fish start to die off first, it is because they ran out of oxygen first, as the largest fish consume more oxygen than the smaller fish. Koi also seem to require more oxygen in summer than similar size goldfish, as Koi also generally move faster as well.
    That is why I leave my main pumps running all winter as my two largest koi are very big and heavy and 25 years old. Too many people think that the running water will super chill the water but that is not the case, as pond water cannot be super chilled. Super chilled water only can happen with pure water void of minerals like in the clouds or lab.
    Lots of people make that same mistake.

callingcolleen1, Oct 12, 2016
  16. herzausstahl

Thanks Colleen! I think it was 2 yrs ago but definitely lesson learned! I'd let it run year round if I wasn't afraid of damming in the stream but now I have pumps that should push the full volume of water per hour in winter that I can set up in each one to move the water. Now I just need time to do it. Lol. Only need to do one pond as the upper only has maybe a dozen Goldie babies that rode the wild ride through the the pump as fry & lived. I never fed them so only about 4" in a 2000 gal plus pond. Ironically the cold/lack of oxygen killed off my rosy reds that year too. The big fish I got but that one surprised me.

herzausstahl, Oct 16, 2016
  17. herzausstahl

For a reminder, first pic is lower pond 3 1/2 feet deep, next two are second "upper" pond, it's 6 feet deep.

Attached Files:

herzausstahl, Oct 16, 2016
    cas likes this.
  18. herzausstahl

sissy sissy

My sister and her hubby have the glued down vinyl planks and love them .They have a great dane and a mastif and pit bull and they have yet to destroy the floor in 3 years now .I love the pic of your girls .It is like they have a house on the lake in that pic

sissy, Oct 16, 2016
    herzausstahl likes this.
  19. herzausstahl

That is exactly what I want to hear about the floors! Lol why we chose it plus its waterproof. I went glue down so they can replace if one plank gets chipped. We've got the trim out & just finished painting. Going with new trim along the floors. Keeping same around doors as the new trim will be 4" wide & some of the doors in the hallway are too close together for that. So just gonna use existing trim but paint it. My wife is excited. Ironically I want to replace our gas fireplace in a cpl years next with a wood one for comfort & esthetic reasons but my 8 yr old is steadfast against it. Reminds me I. Not the only one living here. Lol thanks for the comment on the potting shed, a cabin on the lake is exactly the look I was going for!

Anyone ever see yellow Shebunkins? I was at petco the other day & they had 2 of them. They also had 2 shabbies in the koi tank so I wasn't sure if some got misplaced upon being stocked.

herzausstahl, Oct 17, 2016
    sissy likes this.
  20. herzausstahl

Look for the whiskers, I have not seen a yellow shubbie but I do have cream colored ones. Some yellowish tinge but not yellow.

addy1, Oct 17, 2016
    herzausstahl likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question