Wisconsin Pond Build

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
They had no choice but to glue it down it was a slab in there family room and water did not hurt it because there on demand water heater down there leaked .My brother in law forgot to clean out the clean out on it or they call it flush out the sediment since they have a well .Did not lift any of the vinyl planks .They were lucky they caught it early .I want a gas fireplace .I am sick of bringing in wood and the mess it makes and cleaning the chimney every year is a nightmare .I have the brushes and it is not hard just extremely dirty .We only have access to propane here if we get a tank .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
We put in a 500 gallon propane tank. I dug the hole for it, they delivered it. Then I covered it up with rock dust. That little propane heater in our living room heats the entire house. We also put in a instant on propane water heater, a little touchy with a well getting it set right, but our electric bill did a nose dive with it running

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
We don't have people down here with much knowledge of new things .So hard to find installers for the stuff .Even the propane companies are just starting to get some info on the new stuff or what they call new stuff .:)Tell them they need to get on the ball so they can make more money.Here you either own the tank or rent the tank .If you rent you are on automatic fill up and if you own they are not responsible for leaks or damage to the tank and they stopped allowing to be buried .

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Luckily I'm on city water & natural gas! But if I ever do convert I'll leave the gas pipe closed off in the new fireplace so it would be easy to convert back to gas. I just love the smell, look & feel of a real wood fire. I did look for whiskers addy, can't remember if I saw any or not.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I've been looking for new koi since I lost my other ones (through my own ineptitude), and finally found some really cool butterflies at Walmart of all places. Only $7.92 each & put them in my empty (except for 1 neon who my girls call "guy" cus they thought it was a guppy) before I set it up for cichlids. So they'll live there until it warms up enough to move them outside to the bigger pond I built for koi. It has a few goldfish who survived mr toads wild ride through the pump. But all I plan to have there. Gonna keep just Goldie's in the lower pond due to its smaller size.

IMG_5829.JPG
IMG_5830.JPG
IMG_5831.JPG
IMG_5832.JPG
IMG_5833.JPG

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
They are very pretty and hope the swollen belly goes away. Not good if belly gets strangely swollen. I had a goldfish years ago that had a swollen belly and it did not live too long. Sorry.
No worries, they were cheap at least & from Walmart so I knew there could be risk. I only feed them every few days & not much. Water is probably 65-68 degrees in the tank. Looks like my heater died in it, which is fine for these guys/gals

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
They are really cool colors. Are they irridescent?
I think one might be. With my earlier ones I was never worried if I lost them I told myself as they were cheap! Now after waiting a few years to find ones with markings I like on them, I don't have that attitude anymore. But again a lesson learned on overpopulation during winter, it directly led to me building the 2nd pond. I considered redigging the first one but digging a second one was much easier!

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
So here are some updated pics after I started up the stream today. Looks like I'll have to post vids to youtube and link to here. I've also decided to get more into bonsai. Had an early interest in it before building the ponds, but was derailed by my kids and ponds and kind of had a secondary focus to it. Met some cool people on a bonsai forum very similar to this one, been directing any with ponds here, so hopefully new faces we will see!

DSCF6673.JPG
DSCF6689.JPG
DSCF6690.JPG
DSCF6691.JPG
DSCF6692.JPG
DSCF6693.JPG
DSCF6694.JPG
DSCF6695.JPG
DSCF6696.JPG
DSCF6697.JPG
DSCF6698.JPG
DSCF6699.JPG
DSCF6700.JPG

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I did notice this spring that my edges are filling in nicely with a natural look and I noticed a lot of moss that appeared on its own! I love it. Also noticing a lot of shrubs/etc I didn't plant that our feathered friends must be dropping off for me. My goal this summer is to properly weed the garden while letting nature take its course. Still debating on adding a wildlife pond to part of the garden. Would be all natural with mosquito dunks to control the buggers until the natural predators took over. No fish in it either. But one project at a time!
DSCF6701.JPG
DSCF6702.JPG

Ask a Question