Worm in pond...maybe you can identify it?

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I added my goldfish to the pond in the dark, so I was using a flashlight. While I was shining it in the water to catch a glimpse of the new fish, I spotted a very strange creature. It looked like a miniature eel, but I figure it's a worm. It was black, thin, 1.5-2 inches long. And it could stretch out really long. It swam around near the walls of the pond and sometimes looked like it was slithering on them as well. Any ideas of what this is? I hope it will not prey on my baby goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Sounds like a leech to me. I don't know about what it would do to the fish. Maybe your fish will have a leech dinner.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I added my goldfish to the pond in the dark, so I was using a flashlight. While I was shining it in the water to catch a glimpse of the new fish, I spotted a very strange creature. It looked like a miniature eel, but I figure it's a worm. It was black, thin, 1.5-2 inches long. And it could stretch out really long. It swam around near the walls of the pond and sometimes looked like it was slithering on them as well. Any ideas of what this is? I hope it will not prey on my baby goldfish.
That actually sounds like you have some black fly larvae in the pond. I have had them occasionally and they will swim around and even get on the waterfall rocks and stick to the sides of the pond etc. but the only thing they should be eating is bacteria so unless they get to plague sized numbers you should be okay assuming they are black fly larvae. Hope that helps some.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Whatever it is, it is at home in a freshwater environment. I wouldn't be overly concerned for the fish...for the worm-like critter, probably!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sounds like a leech to me. I don't know about what it would do to the fish. Maybe your fish will have a leech dinner.
I agree. Especially if it swims like a ribbon undulating up and down. No worries.

As for the black fly larvae that Marshall mentioned, they are pretty small and adhere to my waterfall rocks, and bog return. All I can say about them is, get a medium stiff brush like a toilet bowl brush and brush them off into the return current to the pond, then watch. The fish will come like you rang a dinner bell.....wait...I guess you did! The fish love 'em!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm guessing a leech too. I didn't know I had them until I introduced Brook Trout to the pond many years ago. They grew two inches the first month. I caught one and dressed it out, and it was full of leeches.

Ask a Question